Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats better - Calculated Measures, Calculated columns, calculated tables

Hello all,

This is more of a 'best practice' question.  I have a web based excel file (24 columns, 250 rows) in which I hosts my data.  From this, I've used Power BI Desktop to create multiple calculated columns, measures, and calcuilated tables.

Im seeing that the visual refresh times are slowing down substantially, so I'm interested in knowing from the Experts...  What's best... a pages of visuals using multiple calculated measures, calculated columns, or should I try to condense this into a much smaller summarized New Table with calculated columns?

Thanks everyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I think most people will say it depends. Your data structure, what you're using the calculated column or measure for, how static/dynamic they can be... several things play into it, and it's hard to know exactly what you need from what you've mentioned. For calculated column vs measures pointers, I recommend checking what some of the experts have already written. A couple of good examples are on PowerPivotPro and ExceleratorBI.

As far as calculated tables, are you talking about creating tables from scratch, like a calendar table? If you're moving to a condensed table, it sounds like you could just remove several of the rows while you're in the query editor before loading to the model. Any time you can reduce your table size in rows or columns, you'll help your performance to some degree.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I think most people will say it depends. Your data structure, what you're using the calculated column or measure for, how static/dynamic they can be... several things play into it, and it's hard to know exactly what you need from what you've mentioned. For calculated column vs measures pointers, I recommend checking what some of the experts have already written. A couple of good examples are on PowerPivotPro and ExceleratorBI.

As far as calculated tables, are you talking about creating tables from scratch, like a calendar table? If you're moving to a condensed table, it sounds like you could just remove several of the rows while you're in the query editor before loading to the model. Any time you can reduce your table size in rows or columns, you'll help your performance to some degree.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.