Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NDDD
Helper I
Helper I

What will be the appropriate DAX measure to use LEFT, MID, and RIGHT to live data set

Good day, 

First I use live data set and it is not allowed to add columns or modify any tables. When I try to use MID, RIGHT, LEFT gives me the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value". Colum that I want to extract values is measure formatted as a number. 

Suggestions?

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
NDDD
Helper I
Helper I

HI @Samarth_18  

I tried usning SUMX same error, here is excel example where Value is number and when used MID(A2,4,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A2,2)&"/"&MID(A2,2,2) New Vlaue will become a date. 

ValueNew Value 
122051105/11/22
122051905/19/22

Hope will help 

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

@NDDD , Please try this.

Measure = 
var _year = MID(MAX('Table'[Value]),2,2)
var _day = right(MAX('Table'[Value]),2)
var _month = MID(MAX('Table'[Value]),4,2)
return _month&"/"&_day&"/"&_year

Output:-

Samarth_18_0-1650467720627.png

Best Regards,
Samarth

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

HI @Samarth_18 

Same error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value". Don't know if helps at the original BI file I have more columns. 

Thank you

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

@NDDD Could you please share your code implementation?

Best Regards,
Samarth

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

@Samarth_18  Belive the issue is that in my example "Value" is a measure, not a column, as MAX function will only accept column reference as an argument. 

"Value" measure is created to convert string text to number

SUMX ('Item Change Activity',IFERROR(VALUE('Item Change Activity'[New Value]),0))

Here is the measure as you suggested:

New Value as Date ND =                                                                                                          var _year = MID(MAX('Item Change Activity'[New Value as number ND]),2,2)                          var _day= RIGHT(max('Item Change Activity'[New Value as number ND]),2)                          var _month = mid(max('Item Change Activity'[New Value as number ND]),4,2)                      return _month&"/"&_day&"/"&_year

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

@NDDD , I am not sure if I am getting it correctly but If you wanted to convert string to number then you can try int(value).

Best Regards,
Samarth

Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

@Samarth_18 I used measure above to convert string to number as int will consider only measure not column. I use a live connection and there are restrictions :(.

Your measure with MAX will work when there is column. In my case, there is measure that is used to convert string to a number. 

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @NDDD ,

You are not allowed to use column directly in the measure.Hence you need to use aggregate functions like sum,max,min etc.

It would be helpful if you could share your formula what you are trying with sample data and expected output.

BR,

Samarth

Best Regards,
Samarth

Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.