Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Toadie
Frequent Visitor

What user role\s are required to allow access to SharePoint from within Power BI ?

When trying to connect to a SharePoint site or list using the connector in Power BI it's failing to authenticate. I have access to SharePoint and the sites in question. It seems to be a permissions issue or role related. Can you list what roles etc... would be needed to see the site through Power BI.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
sanderVie
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Toadie 

I had the same problems you are referring to. But after I updated PowerBI Desktop, it works again!

SanderVie

View solution in original post

Hi @Toadie ,

Please consider marking your reply as a solution, it will help more people find this post faster.

There may have been some issues on older versions, and this was fixed in the June release.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Toadie
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thank you to all replies.  This has now resolved itself. 

The app guys packed the June release for me and it now just works !! So no idea why it didn't.

Hi @Toadie ,

Please consider marking your reply as a solution, it will help more people find this post faster.

There may have been some issues on older versions, and this was fixed in the June release.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

sanderVie
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Toadie 

I had the same problems you are referring to. But after I updated PowerBI Desktop, it works again!

SanderVie

Thank you for this Sander.  We are on the Feb build at the mo, but the app is being rebuilt on the July release as we speak.  I hope you're right, however others can use the current build, they do have elevated network roles which seem over the top hence my question here. This is being investigated.

Your welcome. I was on the april build, and updated to the june build.

Toadie
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for that MFelix. 

The connector failes no matter what level i point at which is why i wondered what roles or permissions in O365 or SharePoint or both would be needed. I'm owner on some but still can't get in.  I believe it's possibly down to role but am unable to find a spec or detail of that required to be able to see a site\list from Power BI.

Thanks.

Hi @Toadie ,

As an owner role you can connect to the data source.

My test steps are as follows.

vcgaomsft_0-1656473301088.png

Copy the site URL for SharePoint.

vcgaomsft_1-1656473435045.png

Choose the SharePoint online list connector.

vcgaomsft_3-1656473689571.png

Paste the URL you just copied, click OK.

vcgaomsft_4-1656473771585.png

Please use Microsoft account authentication.

vcgaomsft_5-1656473981000.png

Successful connection.

vcgaomsft_6-1656474115325.png

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Hi Gao,

Thank you for this, but this fails for me and is what i have been trying.  I do know how to use the connector it's just not letting me in.  I feel it's a O365 or Azure or network account role that's preventing it.

I'll chase our techys up .  I just thought if i could get a list of roles that would be needed then they could look to ensure i have said roles etc...

Thanks,

Lewis.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Toadie ,

In the connection to the Sharepoint you need to point to the main page of the sharepoint and not to the list itself, otherwise you will get an error. If you can access the sharepoint believe this is your issue.

Please check the documentation on the connection

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-sharepoint-online-list

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Toadie
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

As i say it fails no matter whcih level i try to connect to.  The error is "We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later."

Also, it makes no difference whether i'm logged into Power BI or not.

Hi @Toadie ,

I was looking into this and you should be abble to access to the information with a read only access no need to have admin or other type of access,

Can you check if you can create a quick report from the sharepoint list?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-quick-create-sharepoint-list

Regards

Miguel Félix

Toadie
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I can visualise a list this way, edit it etc.... not the site\s i'm intereested in.

Thanks,

Lewis.

This is strange because looking at the documentation, if you have edit you can then make the connection to the list in Power BI.

Instead of the list, have you tried connecting only to sharepoint to see if the error also happens in terms of access?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Toadie
Frequent Visitor

Really appreciate your thoughts and efforts around this MFelix. I have tried connecting at every level be site, page or list.

My manager can do it we're just trying to see why - extremely frustrating.

Have you tried clearing the datasource settings permissions?

In a previous report I did I once did an incorrect level to the Sharepoint and it was "saved" in the permissions and it was always going back to it instead of updating to the new one.

Also try to do it in a different computer maybe try to change the login on your manager report so that you can see if it's a user issue or a computer.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Toadie
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have tried clearing all Data source details, and logging in on another machine.

Thanks,

Lewis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.