Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

silvias
Helper I
Helper I

What's the best way to do it? RLS for one category and for all

Hello

I asked a question the other day in the forum about how I could have a report that showed each user their Institute and on another page the same data but in a global view (all Institutes).

I got an answer (OPTION 1) where I was told I could duplicate the fact tables and not join them to the institute teacher for which I do RLS security. You could then duplicate the measures and on one sheet have the RLS measures and on another the global measures in this new duplicate fact table.

Another option (OPTION 2) I found was to do "Leaf Level Security". Duplicate all the sheets of my report once for each Institute (with the Institute filter) and another sheet without institute filter, where you would all see them. This would be the starting sheet and I would have a button to take me to the sheet filtered by Institute. I would have a table where I would relate each role to a sheet and the button dynamically would take me to the sheet that corresponds to each role.

The thing is that both options have their drawbacks: In option 1 you have to duplicate the fact tables and all the measures applied, which is cumbersome when there is a very large model with many measures.

Option 2 replicates each sheet of the report by each Institute. Although nothing needs to be done at the model level, it is cumbersome when there are many leaves to replicate and many institutes.

What would be the "BEST PRACTICE"?. Do it at the model level or at the leaf level??

Thanks a lot!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello, @silvias

You can measure the performance impact of RLS filters in Power BI Desktop by using Performance Analyzer to check which path is best.

RLS works by automatically applying filters to each DAX query, and some filters can have a negative impact on query performance. Therefore, efficient RLS comes down to a good model design. It is important to follow the model design instructions, as described in the following articles:

For more information, see the following document.

Row-level security guide (RLS) in Power BI Desktop

Best regards

Allan

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello, @silvias

You can measure the performance impact of RLS filters in Power BI Desktop by using Performance Analyzer to check which path is best.

RLS works by automatically applying filters to each DAX query, and some filters can have a negative impact on query performance. Therefore, efficient RLS comes down to a good model design. It is important to follow the model design instructions, as described in the following articles:

For more information, see the following document.

Row-level security guide (RLS) in Power BI Desktop

Best regards

Allan

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.