Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adamgor
Employee
Employee

What is the source of my dataset tables?

I am using the PowerBI desktop client and I have a dataset with about 10 sources. 

However they are a mixture of local excel files, local csv files, and remote SQL database connections, and remote shared group drive locations.

However we are migrating to not have any local files be connected anymore and I don't know which ones are local and which one are remote.  I am trying to unify them, I can't seem to figure out which one is connecting to SQL vs which one connects to a local file.

Is there a way to identify where/what is powering a table in a dataset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adamgor
Employee
Employee

I resolved it myself, at least in a way that is seemingly good enough for now.

Edit Queries > Click Table > Click Source 

and I could see the SQL table name

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
adamgor
Employee
Employee

I resolved it myself, at least in a way that is seemingly good enough for now.

Edit Queries > Click Table > Click Source 

and I could see the SQL table name

Hey Adamgor, 

Same problem, but can"t find any "Source" button... could you precisz where you find it, in the Query Editor, please?

note : I look for CSV files (need folder) or web files (need the link).

I believe he is referring not to a button, but to the "Source" step in the query editor.

SourceStep.PNG

Click on that and look in the formula bar to see the code for the source step, which tells you what the source is and where it is located.

SourceCode.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@adrien5555 you can also click on "Advanced Editor" in the top ribbon of the Query Editor, this displays a pop up of the "M" code which references the data source. This is the same as clicking the "Source" in applied steps, but just gives you more screen real estate.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks guys for helping me get this small thing solved 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.