Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cte_crest
Helper I
Helper I

What is the maximum amount of data that could be fetched through Blank Query?

Hi everyone,

I am using Power BI desktop and pulling the data from azure log analytics workspace using Blank Query (Power Query). I am following these steps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/powerbi

However, the data volume is very large. So, is there any maximum size for the data that we fetch through Blank query?   

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @cte_crest ,

basically if you are just the data locally, the size is limited to the size of the RAM of your Desktop machine.

If you want to share the data using the Power BI Service, you are limited to a dataset size of 1GB if you are using Pro licensing, and up to 6 GB of RAM if you have a dedicated capacitiy P1 available.

Please don't get fooled by the "small" GB sizes, even a 100s of millions of rows can be stored suing Pro licensing.

There are more Ps available, basically, the limit is the color of your credit card. This article contains the limits of the different Premium versions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-what-is

Read the article carefully.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cte_crest ,

@TomMartens  stated it correctly, I want to summarize it again.

For Pro user:

"When you publish a PBIX file from Desktop, publish an Excel file to Power BI service, or upload an Excel or PBIX file through Get Data in the service, you won’t get a file size limit message unless the file is greater than 1 GB. "

As long as your .pbix file is no larger than 1GB, it can be published to PBI Service.

"Additionally, the data will continue to refresh as long as the data model size does not grow beyond 1 GB. After that, refreshing the dataset will give an error message letting you know your dataset is too large, and it will fail to refresh until you filter the data model back down under 1 GB."

For the dataset in PBI Service, the maximum can only be refreshed to 1GB.

“When source data is loaded into memory, it is possible to see 10x compression, and so it is reasonable to expect that 10 GB of source data can compress to about 1 GB in size. Further, when persisted to disk an additional 20% reduction can be achieved.”

But you don't need to worry about the 1GB limit is not enough, because Power BI uses VertiPaq storage engine to compress and store data.

For Premium user:

"Depending on the SKU, Power BI Premium supports uploading Power BI Desktop (.pbix) model files up to a maximum of 10 GB in size. When loaded, the model can then be published to a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity. The dataset can then be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size."

Power BI limitations for dataset 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cte_crest ,

@TomMartens  stated it correctly, I want to summarize it again.

For Pro user:

"When you publish a PBIX file from Desktop, publish an Excel file to Power BI service, or upload an Excel or PBIX file through Get Data in the service, you won’t get a file size limit message unless the file is greater than 1 GB. "

As long as your .pbix file is no larger than 1GB, it can be published to PBI Service.

"Additionally, the data will continue to refresh as long as the data model size does not grow beyond 1 GB. After that, refreshing the dataset will give an error message letting you know your dataset is too large, and it will fail to refresh until you filter the data model back down under 1 GB."

For the dataset in PBI Service, the maximum can only be refreshed to 1GB.

“When source data is loaded into memory, it is possible to see 10x compression, and so it is reasonable to expect that 10 GB of source data can compress to about 1 GB in size. Further, when persisted to disk an additional 20% reduction can be achieved.”

But you don't need to worry about the 1GB limit is not enough, because Power BI uses VertiPaq storage engine to compress and store data.

For Premium user:

"Depending on the SKU, Power BI Premium supports uploading Power BI Desktop (.pbix) model files up to a maximum of 10 GB in size. When loaded, the model can then be published to a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity. The dataset can then be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size."

Power BI limitations for dataset 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lionel-msft @TomMartens 

Thanks for all the details. It makes sense now. It was really helpful.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @cte_crest ,

basically if you are just the data locally, the size is limited to the size of the RAM of your Desktop machine.

If you want to share the data using the Power BI Service, you are limited to a dataset size of 1GB if you are using Pro licensing, and up to 6 GB of RAM if you have a dedicated capacitiy P1 available.

Please don't get fooled by the "small" GB sizes, even a 100s of millions of rows can be stored suing Pro licensing.

There are more Ps available, basically, the limit is the color of your credit card. This article contains the limits of the different Premium versions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-what-is

Read the article carefully.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.