Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RvdHeijden
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

What is the fault in my formula ?

I want to make a formula that uses data from different colums within the same table.

Status Taak = IF(AND(Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]<>100;Taken[EinddatumTaak]<TODAY());"Te laat";IF(Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]=100;"Gesloten";IF(Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]<>100;Taken[EinddatumTaak]>TODAY();"Open")))

The Tasks have a Start and an End date and when they are done the task gets 100% so what i'm trying to do here is the same as in Excel but in Dax its a bit different and gives this error 

Expressions that yield variant data-type cannot be used to define calculated columns.

Can someone tell me what im doing wrong ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but considering statements are evaluated in order and evalutation stops at first TRUE() statement, you could shorten it up to this:

Status Taak =
SWITCH (
    TRUE ();
    Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak] = 100; "Gesloten";
    Taken[EinddatumTaak] < TODAY (); "Te laat";
    Taken[EinddatumTaak] > TODAY (); "Open";
    "Other"
)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The problem is you missed the "AND" function on the innermost IF statement.  Without it Dax detected the possibility your innermost IF could return a boolean data type along with the other text data types.  All values in a column have to be of the same datatype so it threw an error.  Excel has the "variant" data type which is not allowed in calculated columns.

I think you intended this:

Status Taak =
IF (
    AND ( Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak] <> 100; Taken[EinddatumTaak] < TODAY () );
    "Te laat";
    IF (
        Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak] = 100;
        "Gesloten";
        IF (
            AND ( Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak] <> 100; Taken[EinddatumTaak] > TODAY () );
            "Open"
        )
    )
)

FWIW, I agree with @Phil_Seamark that his way is cleaner and easier to read.  Internally it gets rewritten as nested IF statements, but for you easier to deal with.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @RvdHeijden

Please try this approach.  You may need to tweak the rules but I hope you get the idea

Status Taak = 
    SWITCH(
            --- IF TRUE --
                True(),
            -- Tests ----
		Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]<>100 && Taken[EinddatumTaak]<TODAY() 	,"Te laat",
		Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]=100    ,"Gesloten",
		Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]<>100 && Taken[EinddatumTaak]>TODAY(),	"Open",
            -- ELSE ----
		"Other"
		)

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark thanks for your help but we are not quite there yet 🙂

Status Taak = SWITCH(Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]<>100 && Taken[EinddatumTaak]<TODAY() ;"Te laat"; Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]=100 ;"Gesloten"; Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak]<>100 && Taken[EinddatumTaak]>TODAY(); "Open";"Other" )

The formula still returns this error:

Function 'SWITCH' does not support comparing values of type True/False with values of type Text. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values.

You missed the TRUE() statement @Phil_Seamark showed.

Status Taak =
SWITCH (
    TRUE ();
    Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak] <> 100
        && Taken[EinddatumTaak] < TODAY (); "Te laat";
    Taken[PercentageVoltooidTaak] <> 100
        && Taken[EinddatumTaak] > TODAY (); "Open";
    "Other"
)

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but considering statements are evaluated in order and evalutation stops at first TRUE() statement, you could shorten it up to this:

Status Taak =
SWITCH (
    TRUE ();
    Taken[EinddatumTaak] < TODAY (); "Te laat";
    Taken[EinddatumTaak] > TODAY (); "Open";
    "Other"
)

@Phil_Seamark your formula worked as a charm, thanks for the help

Hi @RvdHeijden,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept helpful replies as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

Oh sorry. What are the data types of the two columns in your table?

Is PercentageVoltooidTaak a number and not text?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.