Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

suyog_s
Frequent Visitor

What is the difference between creating a measure in Power Bi and Azure Analysis Service

Hi all,

I am working with Power BI connected to Azure analysis service. Because its a live connection, I can only create measures.

When I created some measures in Power BI, I am getting an error, "exceeded resource allocation". I want to understand if the same measure was created in Analysis Service would i face the same error when I visualize the results in Power BI? I do not have access to create measures in Analysis Service to try this out.

Thanks,

Suyog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @suyog_s ,

The error occurs when a visual attempts to query too much data for the server to complete the result with the available resources, or you have multiple and complex calculations.  You may need to filter the visual to reduce the amount of data in the result currently, or you may simplified the DAX formula.

You can also optimize your data model following the guide in the blogs below:

Power BI Performance Tips and Techniques

Data Import Best Practices in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
suyog_s
Frequent Visitor

I was creating measures on top of measures which led to the issue. When I got access to the backend formula to calculate the measures most of the errors were resolved.
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @suyog_s ,

The error occurs when a visual attempts to query too much data for the server to complete the result with the available resources, or you have multiple and complex calculations.  You may need to filter the visual to reduce the amount of data in the result currently, or you may simplified the DAX formula.

You can also optimize your data model following the guide in the blogs below:

Power BI Performance Tips and Techniques

Data Import Best Practices in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Debug your measure in DAX studio and check if you can improve its performance and/or memory needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.