Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bikelley
Helper IV
Helper IV

What is the better way to visualize running total?

Hello Guys, 

Hope you all are doing well. I am trying to get an idea from you all. 

I have a chart with the running total by region. I am trying to show it better? I mean currently, it is pretty hard to read. Is there any better way to visualize it? Any idea will really appreciate it? I tried line chart and ribbon chart and no luck. I just need some fresh ideas. 

You can see below, it is not very clear and can't read well.  Any idea to improve this will be really appreciated. 

Sample file - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O3qOBKSblMHwOo7XfvS0lR0DlDSQS4Ai/view?usp=sharing

1.jpg

Thank you so much 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @bikelley ,

Believe that the best option is the line chart:

MFelix_0-1632814349434.png

You can also add the labels has I put it on the first chart or make some measure to pick up the highest and lowest value.

Also on the second chart instead of having the legend you can turn on series label.

PBIX attach.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bikelley 

If you really want to show the data in bar mode than you can go to x axis and change type to categorical which will give you streamlined data with no gaps.

Harsh333_3-1632816267430.png

Other way would be to use a continuous line chart and use region in small multiple field (use lastest power bi desktop version). Since many users have'nt used it so it would be refreshing.

Harsh333_2-1632816244424.png

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bikelley
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Anonymous  & @MFelix  Thank you so much for the ideas. I really appreciate your help and time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bikelley 

If you really want to show the data in bar mode than you can go to x axis and change type to categorical which will give you streamlined data with no gaps.

Harsh333_3-1632816267430.png

Other way would be to use a continuous line chart and use region in small multiple field (use lastest power bi desktop version). Since many users have'nt used it so it would be refreshing.

Harsh333_2-1632816244424.png

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @bikelley ,

Believe that the best option is the line chart:

MFelix_0-1632814349434.png

You can also add the labels has I put it on the first chart or make some measure to pick up the highest and lowest value.

Also on the second chart instead of having the legend you can turn on series label.

PBIX attach.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.