Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

What is the Transform File from Query doing?

After importing a Sharepoint Folder I got this new query showing on my queries list.

What is it doing?

I guess it has been created automatically?

Can I get rid of it?

Queries.png

9 REPLIES 9
niasha
Advocate III
Advocate III

UPDATE POWER BI DESKTOP AND GO THROUGH THE PROCESS AGAIN.

IT WILL BE ADDRESSED.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This function is an improvement in recent Power BI Releases

more info https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-combine-binaries

Allow works in a group of files through just one function and make transformations in file combination automatically

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

It is not 1 query, but 4 queries that are grouped.

It contains the logic required to combine the files from your folder.

The set of queries is created automatically when chosing "Combine Binaries" in the column header of the column in the navigation table with the files in your folder, along with 4 additional query steps in your "Toggl" query.

You may get rid of it by converting the files to tables, using native functions like Csv.Document or Excel.Workbook, depending on the file types in your folder.

But why would you get rid of it? You can also collapse the group.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Anonymous
Not applicable

The toggl query was not created in my case. Maybe it is an update in the way Power BI Desktop does go about Transform file now. I checked this 09.01.2018 which is quite a long time after the original post. Toogl_Transform file_PBIC.png

Thanks for explaining it @MarcelBeug.

It is clearer to me now what is it trying to do.

I was trying to convert a local folder data source into a Sharepoint Folder one and am thinking that it is this Transform File Query that is preventing me from doing it since it references different query names.

Does this make sense?

If I understand your posts correctly, you only want to change the source from a local folder to a sharepoint folder, so basically, both folders have the same (type of) content.

If you go back to your working version (with the local folder), you need to adjust the source folder in 2 places:

1. In your main query (Toggl).

2. In query "Sample File".

That should solve your issue.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

thanks @MarcelBeug, that makes sense.

I was trying to do that on my other post but could not get it to work.

Any ideas on why do I get that error? and how to correct it?

I had similar issue recently, the problem is different syntax for connecting to local folder vs Sharepoint

Connecting to folder creates following syntax:

let

Source = Folder.Files(txtPath)

When you connect to Sharepoint it's a bit different:

let

Source = SharePoint.Files("https://domain.sharepoint.com/sites/yoursite/", [ApiVersion = 15])

Sharepoint gives the list of all documents in the site, so to get to proper subfolder you need this additional step

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Folder Path] = "https://domain.sharepoint.com/sites/yoursite/" & txtSubFolderPath))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Hi @jagostinhoCT,

You need to find out what the errors exactly are in the error message. Then correct them. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors