Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KeithSuckling
Helper I
Helper I

What is the %GT Quick Calculation really?

Using the %GT quick calculation and realising that I couldn't change the name of it, I tried to use the formula that is generally described as the replacement.

Percentage = SUM(TableName[MyColumn]) / CALCULATE(SUM(TableName[MyColumn]), ALL(TableName))

However, when I went to use a filter on my report page, I noticed that the formula did not deliver the expected result.  

After quickly testing side by side the results of GT% quick calc and the above formula calcuation I worked out only the GT% quick calc was giving me the changed view of my data that I wanted.

Is there anyone who knows what the formula for GT% quick calc is exactly so I can mimic its behaviour in more situations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KeithSuckling,

As the measure use the ALL() function which returns all the rows in a table, or all the values in a column, ignoring any filters that might have been applied. It's expected that when you check different values from the slicer, the chart values will not change.

Regarding the "Percent of grand total", any filters include slicer, visual/ page/ report level filters will impact values.

In your scenario, you can use ALLSELECTED() function in the measure,

Measure 2 = SUM(Table1[Person count])/CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Person count]),ALLSELECTED('Table1'))

w1.PNGw2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KeithSuckling

What I complete the steps that you did I get exactly the same results between the Quick measure and the created measure.

I am unsure how yours is different?

Delete later - IP Address Table.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ below is the pic that shows a replication of the problem.  The data file is incredibly simple, the two fields are very simple as well.  When the filter is used the output of the formula and the GT% quick calc is different.

Capture.JPG

Hi @KeithSuckling

Could I please ask you to try the following formula, and see if that resolves your issue.

DIVIDE(
	sum(Table1[Person count]),
  Calculate(
	sum(Table1[Person count]),
     ALL(Table1)
  )
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank for trying @GilbertQ

I had tried this already and it hadn't worked.  

The picture below confirms the new formula produces the same result.

Capture.JPG

Hi @KeithSuckling,

As the measure use the ALL() function which returns all the rows in a table, or all the values in a column, ignoring any filters that might have been applied. It's expected that when you check different values from the slicer, the chart values will not change.

Regarding the "Percent of grand total", any filters include slicer, visual/ page/ report level filters will impact values.

In your scenario, you can use ALLSELECTED() function in the measure,

Measure 2 = SUM(Table1[Person count])/CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Person count]),ALLSELECTED('Table1'))

w1.PNGw2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanx @v-qiuyu-msft!!!

That seems to work, producing the same result as the GT% quick calc.

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.