Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is alternative solution of merging queries

Hello,

I have a table loaded into power bi using ODBC with 7 columns contains a country code, end-user wishes to see the country name instead of country code, I've another table loaded also to power bi with (country name and country codes), I've now a solution to merge both tables 7 times for each column from power bi query editor, my question is what is the most effective way to achieve to  above instead of merging quires 7 times

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've 7 columns with different country codes in the main table, I can't create 7 relationships to the same destination (country, country code) table, I've referenced the country table 7 times with different names and created those relationships 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your description,I think you don;t need to merge queries, you can easliy load two tables and create a relationship with them(country codes>country codes),then you can directly use country name and columns in fact table at the same visual.

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've 7 columns with different country codes in the main table, I can't create 7 relationships to the same destination (country, country code) table, I've referenced the country table 7 times with different names and created those relationships 

Hi, @Anonymous 

Has your problem been solved? If it is solved, you can mark yourself or other reply that is helpful to you. If not, Can you share the sample data ?I will see if there is a good way to solve.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Depending on your planned analysis/visualizations, you may want to consider unpivoting the 7 country columns anyway.  If so, it would be a single merge at that point.

You could also doing a bulk replace values by turning your code/country table into a list of lists.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

You have Table.Combine, we if that can be used

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-combine

Union in DAX in another option

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/union-function-dax

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.