Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

I_NeedMorePower
Helper III
Helper III

What is The Best Practice for Developing a Report That Can Be used for Different OData URLs?

Greetings dears!

I'm planning to develop a report that can work for different environments.

My data source is D365 FO and I want to know what is the best practice to deploy a Power BI report for different D365 environemnts in the easiest way (or best practice wise) possible.

The data model is the same everywhere but I want to build a report that I can change the Odata URL easily.

How can I achieve that?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Best practice would be to store the URL (or the part that changes) in a parameter and use that in the query. That way you can then save your file as a pbit and share it w/o any data (and the user would be prompted to enter the parameter value when they open it).

Parameters - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Pat

Microsoft Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Best practice would be to store the URL (or the part that changes) in a parameter and use that in the query. That way you can then save your file as a pbit and share it w/o any data (and the user would be prompted to enter the parameter value when they open it).

Parameters - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Hi ppm1,

I just tested what you suggested and it works as per what I needed !

Thank you for your help!!! 🙂

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is this an "embedded - app owns data" scenario?  Have you considered service parameters?  You'll run into all sorts of formula firewall issues.

Hi lbendlin,

Thanks for your reply !

I want to embed it in D365 FO. and I want the report to be deployed in multiple D365 FO.

So this is why I want to build a power bi report that can be used in multiple enviornments and deploying the power bi should have no changes if possible.

But after some search it seems I was wrong and I can't use an OData to achive this requirement if I want to embed it in D365 FO Analytics workspaces.

I'm still reading and trying to learn how to do it for D365 FO.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.