cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
xizhouxie Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

What if parameter help - input changes by itself after hitting enter

I set the what if parameter to range from 1000 to 5500, with increment of 1.  Because of the way that I am using the what if parameter, I need the user to input a specific number, and not just use the slider.  

The problem is that sometimes, only sometimes, the number changes after I put it in. Why is this happening??? So for example, if I put in 3080, it automatically becomes 3079. Sometimes the change is from say from 4151 to 4149.  

I included a video of this problem here: https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/media/What+if+Parameter+Problem/1_47no0vpf

Does anyone know what this is happening?

Another way to solve the problem is if anyone knows how I can input a list in the what if parameter. That'll solve the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: What if parameter help - input changes after hitting enter

@v-huizhn-msft Did you set the range as the same as mine? I think it's because of the range being too big and the numbers are being sampled.

8 REPLIES 8
v-huizhn-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @xizhouxie,

If you want to decrease 1 from the selected value in parameter. When you create a what-if parameter, which generates a table named "Parameter", and a measure [Parameter Value]. You can create another measure using the formula using the formula below.

decrease1 = Parameter[Parameter Value]-1

Please see the screenshot, when I select 3 in parameter, the measure returns 3.

1.PNG

If you want to sepefic list in the parameter, Power BI can't support the feature until now. You can create a idea here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

No I don't want to decrese 1 from the selected value. It does that by itself! I want the selected value. It seems to be a bug to me.

A video of what I'm talking about : https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/media/What+if+Parameter+Problem/1_47no0vpf

Super Contributor

Hi @xizhouxie,

It's really weird, I didn't reproduce it. What's your desktop version? Please update your BI desktop the latest and check if it works fine.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Frequent Visitor

@v-huizhn-msft Did you set the range as the same as mine? I think it's because of the range being too big and the numbers are being sampled.

Super Contributor

Hi @xizhouxie,

Yes, I reproduce your scenario. Your understanding is right, as when you click the ! button on the left above, it shows the following tips.

1.PNG
Please mark your reply as answer, so more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Frequent Visitor

I hope Power BI increases the range soon! @v-huizhn-msft

ozbroomy Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: What if parameter help - input changes by itself after hitting enter

I am also experiencing this issue. My value range is 1 to 5000 with an increment of 1. Is this too much?
Using whatif has privided an almost perfect solution I was after for the ROI Calculator shown below, but is unusable in front of a client due to this bug. Is there a plan to resolve this?

ROI_WhatIf_Bug_2018-06-07_1106.png

Frequent Visitor

Re: What if parameter help - input changes by itself after hitting enter

yes that's about the range i used and yes it's too big for Power BI to handle precisely.