Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What-if Parameter Only Works For Certain Values

Hi,

My goal is to create a data quality calculater that displays the affect of poor data on an organisation's turnover. I have created 2 What-if parameters, one to adjust to the correct turnover in millions (from 1 - 10,000, incrementing by 1, default 1) and one to adjust to the estimated data quality percentage score (from 0.5 - 1, incrementing by 0.01, default is 0.5). 

ErrorPBI.1.png

I have also created a table called "scale" which is used to determine the value to multiply the turnover by according to their estimated data quality score. From this, i created a 1-1 relationship between the "estimated data quality" parameter and the "scale" table, based of the column "data quality" having matching values as used in the parameter.  

ErrorPBI.3.png

I then created a measure in order to calculte my desired result. 

Error.PBI.4.png

However, for some reason the score only displays when the estimated data quality score is bellow 0.56. As soon as you go above this, it results in blank.                                             ErrorPBI.2.png

Error PBI.png

If anyone could provide some help and advice it would be greatlly appreciated.

Many thanks 

Nathan 

5 REPLIES 5
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your above measure you are not using "Data Quality Estimate" parameter value anywhere.

Are you really using it anywhere?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11,

Firstly, thank you for your reply, i really apprecite it. 

Yes, in the measure i am not using the data quality parameter because I created a relationship between the "data quality estimate parameter" and the "scale" table based of matching values as seen below.  The table on the left is named "Scale" and the able on the right is the "Data Quality estimate Parameter". As you can see both values match, creating a 1-1 relationship.       

Therfore, the idea is that a customer will use the data quality parameter to adjust the data quality estimate to their organisation and, due to the relationship, the bad data value will automatically be calculted by multipling the estimated turnover by the cost associated with the estimated data quality score.                         

Cheers 

Nathan                                                            ErrorPBI.6.png

Table Named "Scale"Table Named "Scale"

Hi @Anonymous ,

I am not 100% sure if creating relationship with a parameter table will make this work?

Ideally parameters should be used within a calculation to affect that calculation like you have used the other one.

Can you try doing it this way and test if it works?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11,

Thank you for your response. 

If i remove the relationship, then there would be no way of understanding what value to multiple turnover by. The relationship is there to determine what value is used in the measure. 

For example, 

turnover (In Millions) = 100

Estimate data quality = 50%

This means the measure is = (100 * 0.25) * 1,000,000

Bad data value = 25 million 

The 0.25 is found due to the relationship between the parameter and the table named "scale". I tried removing it and using the parameter in the calculation, but was unsure as to how to achieve the same result as there was no way of indicating what value to multiple turnover by.

If you have any ideas then that would be great!!

Thank you

Nathan 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your picture, not certain how did you create the measure and the In Millions parameter, if using what-if patameter, it should not look like a common column. Besides, if [Enter...] is a measure, it could not be put into a slicer.

Could you please consider sharing a sample file without any sesentive information for further discussion? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.