Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

fschiro
Frequent Visitor

What does the dot command do [column].[column]

What does the dot "." command do in Dax?

In a quick measure I noticed 'DimDate'[Date].[Date]

I went to find documentation as to what was the purpose of the .[Date] in the [Date].[Date], but I could not find any.

Can anyone tell me what is this dot "." command [column].[column]? What does it do? Is there any documentation on it?

Thank you,
FS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @fschiro 

Its a DAX reference to auto date hierarchy table that you can not see it in your model as it's hidden, normally you would use it if you do not have a date dimension.
image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@fschiro ,

I believe the "." denotes an object that is in the class on the left side of the "." So any commands on the right side of the" . "are all grouped together as a subset of the object on the left side of the"."

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@Nathaniel_C
Is there any documentation on this?
Can I create data that utilizes this? Meaning, can I create a column that contains subvalues which I can reference with dot?

Hi @fschiro , 

I just came across this blog. At the end he says, " 

An afterthought

Also, please keep in mind that the dot symbol in List.Generate does not have the same meaning as in other languages either. There are no object methods in M, and there are no namespaces, so the dot is just another character without any special meaning. It could have been a dash or an underscore - it wouldn't have mattered."

So unlike other languages he says it doesn't mean anything. If you find different, let us know. 

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

https://potyarkin.ml/posts/2017/loops-in-power-query-m-language/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @fschiro 

Its a DAX reference to auto date hierarchy table that you can not see it in your model as it's hidden, normally you would use it if you do not have a date dimension.
image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

@Mariusz 
I'm not sure I get it. I have a date dimension, and I do see that sometimes it puts this hierarchy thing on the axis when I first select a datedimension column. But I usually have to close the hierarchy for the data to plot correctly on the date dimension column I choose.

Is there somewhere I can read about this? What is this hierarchy thing?

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

In Power BI the auto date/time setting automatically creates one date table for each date column in the model.

Columns in these auto-created tables can be accessed through “column variations”.

'Sales'[Order Date].[Date]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.