Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

procurtstinate
Frequent Visitor

What can I do with my grouped columns?

I've known about grouping columns together for a while now, but I've never explored it further than accidentally dragging and dropping one column onto another. What additional capability does this provide me with other than organising my columns into groups?

Can I see the group name in a table or visual? Can I use the group name as a prefix for all the column names? 

Looks like this:

ColumnGroups.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@procurtstinate It is an "ease of use" feature. It allows you to define hierarchies that you may use often. By taking the "Waste" field and dropping that on your canvas (or selecting it) you will pull the entire hierarchy into the visual rather than having to build it every time. Very useful also for drill up/ drill down.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@procurtstinate It is an "ease of use" feature. It allows you to define hierarchies that you may use often. By taking the "Waste" field and dropping that on your canvas (or selecting it) you will pull the entire hierarchy into the visual rather than having to build it every time. Very useful also for drill up/ drill down.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.