cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbiuser2 Member

What are the .Year, .Quarter, etc. options that appear after a DAX reference to a Date called?

When I create a new column and refer to a date column (e.g., =[Date of the Transaction] ), I get an intellisense pop-up that shows a whole bunch of "break-downs" for the date (.Year, .Quarter, .Month). Is there an official term for these amazingly useful options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Phil_Seamark Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What are the .Year, .Quarter, etc. options that appear after a DAX reference to a Date called?

There is an option in Power BI Desktop that enables "auto date time", which means for every column in your model that uses a Date (or DateTime) data type, Power BI Desktop will automatically create a hidden table that carries columns such as Month, Quarter etc.  

It's a quick and easy way to add time intelligence to your model.  I normally turn this off and use my own date tables.

They can be handy if you are just trying to get something done quickly.

image.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Phil_Seamark Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What are the .Year, .Quarter, etc. options that appear after a DAX reference to a Date called?

There is an option in Power BI Desktop that enables "auto date time", which means for every column in your model that uses a Date (or DateTime) data type, Power BI Desktop will automatically create a hidden table that carries columns such as Month, Quarter etc.  

It's a quick and easy way to add time intelligence to your model.  I normally turn this off and use my own date tables.

They can be handy if you are just trying to get something done quickly.

image.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 1,096 guests