Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ahines
Advocate I
Advocate I

What If Parameter Issue

I've got 2 What if Parameters  with formulas "Expense What If = GENERATESERIES(0, 300000, 1)" and "Budget What If = GENERATESERIES(0, 300000, 1)"

When I put the "What If Parameter" to "Single Value" and type in a single value, I get an "i" in the top left that says

"Too many Expense What if Values. Showing a representative sample. Filter the data or choose another field." 

What is the point of picking a single value if it won't actually let me pick a single value? 

I am essentially trying to make a field that subtracts "expense" from "budget" using the what if parameters. If anyone could help me do this another way I would very much appreciate the help.  

9 REPLIES 9
ekimrenrob
Frequent Visitor

Use a combination of UNION() and GENERATESERIES() such as the following, enabling scale within your What If Parameter, as well as enabling Power BI to manage the number of parameters it has to hold in memory.:

UNION(

GENERATESERIES(0,500,10)

,GENERATESERIES(1000,10000,1000)

,GENERATESERIES(20000,100000,20000))

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the issue is getting the values in the table, it's the slicer won't take more than ~1,000 values when it's looking at a parameter.

A workaround may be to do what you were doing by unioning a few different GENERATESERIES() functions to give granularity and further detail in the important ranges.

mkeiper
Frequent Visitor

mkeiper
Frequent Visitor

I created an Idea request for this if we want to try and create some traction to get PowerBI to increase the limitation...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32797822-what-if-parameter-slicer...

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @ahines

I thnk the idea is the table generated by the "What If Parameter" is to be used in a slicer.  This will then allow you to pick an individual value from your list of 1 to 300,000.  

It's the individual value that you can incorporate into your other measures.  This way, when you adjust the slicer using your what if measure table, any other measure that references the 'single' measure will recalculate and show the updated value.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark i think the issue @ahines mentioned is that user cannot enter single value in the box and I tried it by myselft and if I enter some number, it round off to next number. I think that is the issue @ahines is trying to explain and totally agree with him

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

HI @parry2k

Oh yeah, it seems the slicer can't cope with that number of rows. 

looks like values GENERATESERIES(1, 99998,1) might work or GENERATESERIES (1,300000,3)

Seems to be based on the number or rows.....

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for the responses. None of the above proposed solutions are working. It still is picking a relative value to whatever "single value" I select. I'm not sure why Power Bi put limits on this. 

Yeah I came across the same limitation where I added a unicode char what if slicer to my text gantt gallery entry.

I broke it into 2 what if parameters one being in units of 1000

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Text-Gantt-Chart/m-p/253466

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.