Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ristaul
Frequent Visitor

What If Parameter - Doesn't Have All Values

I am trying to use the what-if parameter to help build a flexible calculator, the problem is that the options seem to be too rigid, and even when I use what Power BI allows, it doesn't work -

First issue - 

I can't have small incraments w/ larger numbers (first image below) - Well this stinks... ok let me try to increase the incrament to 10 (this seems to work; see image 2).... wait, now when it's added as a slicer, I can't even get down to that level of details (see 3rd image).... This gets worse the larger the max value, and I have a need to go multple millions as a max value. Please help!

Incrament.pngIncrament_Good.pngShow_Values.png

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Ristaul ,

Regarding the first part of your question you can make a quick turn around if you look at the code it's generated when you create a parameter table you see its a GENERATESERIES formula so you can change the values so simply create the parameter table with minimum values and go to the code and place it like this.

Parameter = GENERATESERIES(1; 100000; 1)

Concerning the second part about the slider the issue is presented on the slider with an i on top

paramenter.png

Try messing around with the type of slicer you have to a list dropdown, et, maybe can work.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix  - I tried the dax expression the same as you did. When looking at the data view, it works, it creates a single column table w/ the range and desired increment, but that is where it ends. The slicer still won't give all of the values.

As for your second comment, I tried that too. You can select a dropdown or list that will display all of the values, but the UX stinks; since these are numerical values, PowerBI doesn't support search on those formats (strings only); so I can't have someone scrolling to get to 1 million plus (The use case is that this is to be an incentive comp calculator, and need both incentive comp and sales quota as parameters so really big values)...

Thoughts?

Hi @Ristaul ,

Try posting on the specifi issues part of the cummunity. Maybe you get a better answer, believe that taking into account that they have a warning on the slicer it design based,so no issue itself but maybe they have another option.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.