Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markmacardle
Advocate I
Advocate I

Weirdly repeating text values in a table

I've connected to a table of reviews left by customers in BigQuery. When I make a table from this I see some of the values getting weirdly repeated. Below is an example of one of these values getting repeated.

The created_datetime_review, id and rating are all correct for the row, it's just the review that's wrong. The aggregation on all fields is set to "Don't summarize".

I've made this in a fresh report so the reviews data is the only table imported and there's no transformations or formula applied at all in DAX or the Query Editor. If I filter the review column in the Query Editor for begins with "Worst insurance services" I get only one row (which is correct). So I can't understand what's changing between then and this table.

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 09.48.32.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
markmacardle
Advocate I
Advocate I

I eventually figured out it is caused by the length of text strings being >=512 characters long.

The column limited to 511 characters shows the correct text, but when the limit is 512 characters any values that hit this limit start getting duplicated and overwriting other rows in the column. The amount of other rows, and which ones, that get overwritten seems to be pretty random.

Capture.JPG

I was initially using version 2.71 (July 2019) and have updated to the latest version, 2.75.5649.961 64-bit (November 2019). The bug is present in both.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
markmacardle
Advocate I
Advocate I

I eventually figured out it is caused by the length of text strings being >=512 characters long.

The column limited to 511 characters shows the correct text, but when the limit is 512 characters any values that hit this limit start getting duplicated and overwriting other rows in the column. The amount of other rows, and which ones, that get overwritten seems to be pretty random.

Capture.JPG

I was initially using version 2.71 (July 2019) and have updated to the latest version, 2.75.5649.961 64-bit (November 2019). The bug is present in both.

saraMissBI
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @markmacardle ,

Could you please share a  snapshot of your table from the Data section? ...to see how your data looks there.

Thank you,

See below. I've filtered the review_body column for starts with "Worst insurance services" and sorted it ascending

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 10.37.06.png

Hi @markmacardle ,

From what I see on your data table, then the table in your report is showing correct data. The data you imported to power bi has that review in several rows, and there is nothing wrong with the report.

Best regards,

@saraMissBIthanks for having a look but I checked the source data and it's fine. Also as I mention in the original post if I filter the reviews in the Query Editor I'll only get one row that starts with "Worst insurance services". After importing though I see mutliple rows starting with "Worst insurance services" so it's an issue that must be happening in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.