Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Slicer with slider limited to 1,000 data points

I'm working on a table visualization that will be exported from Power BI to Excel to then be uploaded into another program.  I've got a requirement that the first field in the table be an ID number that must begin with the next available ID number from the program we're loading the data into.  The ID number is then sequential for each for row in the table visualization.

As an example, if my next ID number from my target system is 109619 and my table visual contains 100 rows, my ID numbers on the table rows would be 109619, 109620, ... 109718.

My thought was to use a parameter to allow the user to enter the next ID number and then have DAX calculate the subsequent row numbers based on the the parameter value.  I've created a parameter with values from 1 to 10,000,000 that increments by 1 and I've connected a slicer to the parameter table.  Here's where it gets weird.  When I key 109619 into the slicer text box, the value returned by the slicer is 109890.  If I key 2000000 the slicer returns 1998002.  No matter what number I key into text box, I get some weird random number near the value I keyed.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

EDIT: The slicer is set to single value.  If I set the slicer to allow "Between" selections I can dial to a specific number by setting the slicer to between 109619 and 109619.

ONE MORE EDIT: It seems to be based on the slider on the slicer.  It's like Power BI only has a max of 1,000 detents for the slider.  With my parameter set from 1 to 10,000,00, each click of the slider to the right advances the parameter value by 9,990.  The next advance to the right is 19,980, 29,970, etc.  I can't find this listed as a limitation of the slicer visual in the Power BI docs.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This is a common limitation for all Power BI visuals. If you have more than 1000 data points the forced grouping will start to take over, and it will be indicated by the i in the blue circle.  Redesign your requirement.

AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thanks for the reply.  Is this documented as a limitation?  There is no option to redesign the requirement.  It will just be a requirement that can't be fulfilled due to PBI limitations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.