Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jashjacob
Helper I
Helper I

Weird filtering issue involving many-to-one join - first time ever

I have this weird issue that propped up recently. So, I am bringing in data from two tables which are joined via one-to-many join.

Lets call these tables Product and ProductTransactions. They are joined based on the ProductCode. 

Product Table:

IDNameDescriptionCategoryInventoryCost
ab133abramagical momentstoddler1005
ab123cain historyadolescent2007
ab333dabraof entertainmentteenage5009

Product Transaction Table

IDDateCustomerProductNoQuantityAmount
tr0016/27/2022XYXab1331050
tr1236/27/2022ABCab1331284
tr1536/27/2022ABCab12312108

Ideally, we would expect that if the page is filtered for a few products (not slicers, but page level filters), then the data will be filtered, considering that we are bringing in data from only these 2 tables and the Product Category is coming from the ONE side of the join. However, this is not happening for me.

When I use a slicer and select any of the products already filtered within the page, I get the filtered value. But, if I select all, it goes back to all Categories ignoring the page level filter. What could be happening? Initially I assumed it could be a "meh, needs a restart" issue, but that didn't solve it.

5 REPLIES 5
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jashjacob ,

I can't reproduce your issue. When I filter using the 'Product Table'[ID] column in both the page filter and the slicer, the correct result is returned.

vkkfmsft_0-1656570993772.png

Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

While trying to prepare a copy, I kinda figured out a possible cause. I was removing some of the tables that were irrelevant to this particular table, and viola, it resolved it. Now the issue I am dealing with is how to fix the issue, without having to remove the other table.

jashjacob
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Amit,

Thanks for the response. I have removed and added all filters, slicers, and even rebuilt the matrix. The only thing I haven't tried is all of them together.

Is there any reason that you can think of where a filter placed on the one side of a many-to-one join will not affect the table when only 2 tables are in play in this particular page. Even weird is the fact that when I use a sliver and select individual values, it works. To expand on this point, out of 10 categories, this page is filtered for 3 of them. These 3 are available as a slicer. If I select all 3 of them using control, I get just the 3, but if I use "select all" or leave it unselected, I get all categories.

If I don't bring in the transaction table, the filter is still effective. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jashjacob , This is really strange. Just delete the page level filter and add it again and check if that is working now.

If this does not help
Can you share a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Let me figure out a way to duplicate this without critical information. I probably need to share this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.