Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rovercon

Weighted average comparison

Have a table of item sales by division.    Each division is selling the same items at somewhat different pricing.   Would like to show how much division sales are above/below the Total Avg.    No trouble getting this into Power BI, or getting the Total Avg column.    I can summarize all the data I'm after in visualizations, but am having trouble creating the Division product average that can then be used in further calculations....like the Difference field.    New to Power BI, Many Thanks.

Please see below for what I'm using to the the 'Total Avg' measure.    The table at bottom is an idea of what I'm after.

Total Avg = SUM(Sheet1[Sales]) / SUM(Sheet1[Qty]).    

BI table.PNGBI test.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh so nothing calculated yet, gotcha. You will need a couple of measures:

Total Qty = SUM(Table1[Qty])

Average price = SUMX(Table1,Table1[Qty]*Table1[Price])/[Total Qty]

Average for company = CALCULATE([Average price],ALL(Table1[Division]),VALUES(Table1[Product]))

Difference = IF(HASONEVALUE(Table1[Division]),[Average for company]-[Average price],blank())

the HASONEVALUE bit is not completely necessary but its the bit behind the blanks at the total line on the matrix i have shown.

2018-05-24_11-04-48.png

// if this is a solution please mark as such

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Something along the lines of:

COMPANY AVERAGE = CALCULATE( [DIVISION AVERAGE] , ALL(SHEET1[DIVISION NAME]) , VALUES(SHEET1[PRODUCT]) )

// If this is a solution please mark as such

Thanks!   I'm working with the table at top and trying to replicate something similar to what is at bottom.   I'm working to create the Division Avg field, this isn't currently part of table in BI.    

Oh so nothing calculated yet, gotcha. You will need a couple of measures:

Total Qty = SUM(Table1[Qty])

Average price = SUMX(Table1,Table1[Qty]*Table1[Price])/[Total Qty]

Average for company = CALCULATE([Average price],ALL(Table1[Division]),VALUES(Table1[Product]))

Difference = IF(HASONEVALUE(Table1[Division]),[Average for company]-[Average price],blank())

the HASONEVALUE bit is not completely necessary but its the bit behind the blanks at the total line on the matrix i have shown.

2018-05-24_11-04-48.png

// if this is a solution please mark as such

Thanks!   This is what I'm after.   Your help is much appreciated.   

Regards-  rovercon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.