Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Week to Date Measure

Hello.

I am trying to get a WTD measure on Power BI. I have a separate Calendar table and I have been trying some formulas, with no success so far.

What I am pursuing is basically the evolution on the selected week comparing to the previous one. On the Report I have a filter where you select just one week. The Calendar table has a Column with the week number (Calendar[Week]).

The last I tried, among others, was this one:

Weekly Evolution = (   sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption])   -   CALCULATE(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]);('Calendar'[Week])-1))   /   CALCULATE(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]);('Calendar'[Week])-1)

This doesn't work. Could you please shed some light on this matter? Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I assume your “NG_Consumptions” table looks like below.

1.png

1.  You need to create a measure to calculate sum consumption of current week.

sumConsumption = CALCULATE(SUM(NG_Consumptions[consumption]), ALLEXCEPT(NG_Consumptions, NG_Consumptions[week]))

2. create a measure to calculate sum consumption of last week.

previousWeekSumAmount = CALCULATE(SUM(NG_Consumptions[consumption]), FILTER(ALL(NG_Consumptions), SUMX(Filter(NG_Consumptions, NG_Consumptions[week] = EARLIER(NG_Consumptions[week]) + 1), NG_Consumptions[consumption])))

3. create a measure to calculate your Weekly Evolution

Weekly Evolution = if([previousWeekSumAmount] = 0, BLANK(), ([sumConsumption] - [previousWeekSumAmount])/[previousWeekSumAmount])

This is the result:

3.png

Best Regards

Alex

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I assume your “NG_Consumptions” table looks like below.

1.png

1.  You need to create a measure to calculate sum consumption of current week.

sumConsumption = CALCULATE(SUM(NG_Consumptions[consumption]), ALLEXCEPT(NG_Consumptions, NG_Consumptions[week]))

2. create a measure to calculate sum consumption of last week.

previousWeekSumAmount = CALCULATE(SUM(NG_Consumptions[consumption]), FILTER(ALL(NG_Consumptions), SUMX(Filter(NG_Consumptions, NG_Consumptions[week] = EARLIER(NG_Consumptions[week]) + 1), NG_Consumptions[consumption])))

3. create a measure to calculate your Weekly Evolution

Weekly Evolution = if([previousWeekSumAmount] = 0, BLANK(), ([sumConsumption] - [previousWeekSumAmount])/[previousWeekSumAmount])

This is the result:

3.png

Best Regards

Alex

Hello all, I came across this thread and decided to try it out. I get the following error when I try to use this measure with the guage visual.

tyjames05_0-1704301282426.png

Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

can you help me?, i used your solution and it's very effective, really appreciate it, but i have troubles when one week is missing, for example having week 44 and next is 46, when this happens the measure "previousWeekSumAmount" value is 0 for the week 46, and the measures fails, i have tried adding some conditionals but haven't success.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alex,

Thanks so much for your response.

In the mean time, I tried some formulas and one that works is this one:

Weekly Evolution = (SUM(NG_Consumptions[Consumption])-CALCULATE(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-7,DAY)))/CALCULATE(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-7,DAY))

And it gives the value of the incomplete previous week, which is good, it compares similar periods.

But when I do that for the month, with the formula below, it compares the whole previous month with the current month, different periods.

Monthly Evolution = (TOTALMTD(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]),'Calendar'[Date])-TOTALMTD(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,MONTH)))/TOTALMTD(sum(NG_Consumptions[Consumption]),DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,MONTH))

Any idea why this happens?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.