Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chau

Week starting Wednesday

I need to do weekly reports for the week starting from every Wednesday to Tuesdays the week after. Can anyone help me how to change start of the week to Wednesday (instead of Sunday as default). 

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create this as a calculated column wherever you want to do your date filtering (i.e. Date table)

WEEKNUM = IF(
	WEEKDAY([Date], 1) < 4),
	WEEKNUM([Date], 1),
	WEEKNUM([Date], 1) + 1
)

This will place Week Numbers next to all of your lines.  Now you can do your filtering based on Weeknumbers.  If you do this as part of a Date Dimension table, you can do a lookup from any date to the WeekNumber

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @Chau

Create a column in your calendar table

DayofWeek = Weekday(Calendar[Date],13)

The last parameter makes the week to begin from Wednesday to Tuesday.

If this works for you please accept this as a solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@CheenuSing thank you that works a treat.

@CheenuSing Thanks CheenuSing. Your method works as well. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest, if you don't have one, create a Date Dimension table  (http://www.agilebi.com.au/power-bi-date-dimension/) which you can link to your other data.  The weeknumber formula you just created, could be placed into this table instead.  Now you'll have a direct link between Dates and Week numbers.  Lastly create another column which contains date data, but is something like "Week Starting" or "Week Ending".  This column will contain the data you will put on your axis.

A formula you can use for this is

[WeekEnding] = Calendar[Dates] – MOD(Calendar[Dates] - 5, 7) + 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CheenuSing correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't WEEKDAY only return a value between 1 and 7?  Also doesn't the 2nd parameter only accept values 1, 2, or 3 rather than the 13 you have suggested?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634550.aspx

My understanding is that @Chau wanted a set of week numbers in order to do filters for reporting.

Actually she is correct!

I have a client whose fiscal starts on 11/1/17 and their Week 1 = 11/1 - 11/7 so I used this formula after creating a new column to set the 11/1 to week 1, 11/8 to week 2, etc

Client Week = WEEKNUM([date],13)-44

Actually she is correct!

I have a client whose fiscal starts on 11/1/17 and their Week 1 = 11/1 - 11/7 so I used this formula after creating a new column to set the 11/1 to week 1, 11/8 to week 2, etc

Client Week = WEEKNUM([date],13)-44

Hi @Anonymous

If you look up the WeekDay function in Excel the second parameter also accepts values from 11 to 17. 

The weekday function in dax wroks in the same manner as excel although the documentation you referred to does not say so.

You can try out various values 1 to 3, 11 to 17 as the second parameter and see what you get.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Anonymous
Not applicable

YAY undocumented features lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create this as a calculated column wherever you want to do your date filtering (i.e. Date table)

WEEKNUM = IF(
	WEEKDAY([Date], 1) < 4),
	WEEKNUM([Date], 1),
	WEEKNUM([Date], 1) + 1
)

This will place Week Numbers next to all of your lines.  Now you can do your filtering based on Weeknumbers.  If you do this as part of a Date Dimension table, you can do a lookup from any date to the WeekNumber

@Anonymous Thanks a lot Ross. It works perfectly for me. However I don't want the new WeekNum to appear on the X-axis. Instead I want to use the date of the start of the week on the axis. For example, instead of showing 14, 15, I want to show 29/03/2017, 05/04/2017 on the X-axis. How can I do that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.