Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schwinnen
Helper V
Helper V

Week over Week Change

I have been trying to figure out how to get week over week change to display on a table or matrix.  Below are pictures of what the matrix looks like and a sample of the data used. I have calculated a total score by week for each customer and now I just want the difference from week to week.  So, for the top customer the change from Week Ending August 18th to Week Ending August 25th would be -10.6%.  I would also like to be able to calculate the change from the first week on the matrix to the most recent week.  

A couple of important details:

- As you can see in the data, there is a field called "Transaction #".  Each transaction has a total score.  The total score for each customer is going to be the average of all the total scores for individual transactions.  

- In reality, I don't connect to Excel.  I connect live to our backend database.  So, I will have data on my tables that is up-to-the-minute.  In this report, however, I am displaying the previous four weeks scores, starting with the week prior to the current week.  To calculate week over week change, I will be using last week's score and the score from two week's ago.  

Hopefully this all makes sense.  If not, please reply and I'll provide more information.  Thanks in advance. 

WOW2.PNGWOW.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @schwinnen,

Please have a look at below examples to calculate week over week changes.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Week-over-Week-Change/td-p/243318

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Week-over-Week/td-p/379226

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, @v-yulgu-msft.  I saw those before posting my question but was unable to translate them to my data.  I may be able to use the formula below, however I am not trying to find percentage change.  First, I would probably need someone to break down each part of the formula so I understand what it is doing.  Second, the final part of the formula seems to be figuring the % change over the previous week.  How would that part change to give me just week over week change in numbers, not percentage change.  

Measure =
VAR lastWeekAmount =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
            'Calendar'[WeekNum]
                = MIN ( 'Calendar'[WeekNum] ) - 1
        )
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ) - lastWeekAmount, lastWeekAmount, 0 )

Hi @schwinnen,

How would that part change to give me just week over week change in numbers, not percentage change.  

Measure =
VAR lastWeekAmount =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
            'Calendar'[WeekNum]
                = MIN ( 'Calendar'[WeekNum] ) - 1
        )
    )
RETURN
   SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ) - lastWeekAmount

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.