Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Week over Week Change

Hey All,

I am trying to figure out week over week change for metrics by social platforms (i.e comments on twitter, comments on facebook etc.)  What I can't wrap my head around is each post has a different day and metric associated and how I would roll that up. I included the time frame colums I have. Thanks everyone!Snap shot one.PNGSnap shot two.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Try this measure please. 

Measure =
VAR lastWeekAmount =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
            'Calendar'[WeekNum]
                = MIN ( 'Calendar'[WeekNum] ) - 1
        )
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ) - lastWeekAmount, lastWeekAmount, 0 )

week over week change.JPG

I have upgraded the file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-BkgROntwcC_mRlVBAU

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you have done the most of the work. You have week numbers. You can sum up or average base on week number. 

I would suggest creating a new date table in case you would use some time intelligence functions.

1. Create a date table.

Calendar =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CALENDAR ( DATE ( 2016, 1, 1 ), DATE ( 2017, 12, 31 ) ),
    "WeekNum", WEEKNUM ( [Date] )
)

2. Add a new column to "Append1" due to the dates have time part.

DateForRelationship = [Date].[date]

3. Establish relationship.

Please check this file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-BkgROntwcC_mRlVBAU. There is a demo of visual in it.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msftAwesome, thanks so much! any idea how I would go about now changing this into a week over week percent change like you mentioned?

Hi @Anonymous,

Try this measure please. 

Measure =
VAR lastWeekAmount =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
            'Calendar'[WeekNum]
                = MIN ( 'Calendar'[WeekNum] ) - 1
        )
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( SUM ( Append1[Video Views] ) - lastWeekAmount, lastWeekAmount, 0 )

week over week change.JPG

I have upgraded the file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-BkgROntwcC_mRlVBAU

Best Regards!

Dale

I used this but the calculation is not showing the right numbers. I have my Fiscal calendar all set with the correct fiscal week number. My guess it has something to do with week numbers the same between multiple fiscal years. Anybody encountered this and have a fix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was trying to find a solution to my week-over-week as well and this works until I cross over a year boundary and then it breaks. It's like there isn't a way for it to handle doing a comparison between the week of the year. Maybe, when building the calendar table we need to have a new column which is the number year * 52 + the week of the year...which won't work when we have a year with 53 weeks......*shrug*

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much @v-jiascu-msft! I've been banging my head on this for a week. Just some quick notes for future people

Calendar =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CALENDAR ( DATE ( 2016, 1, 1 ), DATE ( 2017, 12, 31 ) ),
    "WeekNum", WEEKNUM ( [Date] )

The above column add will default to Sunday as the week start date. To change to Monday as the start date, simple put ( [Date},2 )

For me, I needed it attached to my main query slicer. The solution I found was adding a column under my main table

Week1 = WEEKNUM('Append1'[Date],2)

I then changed the WoW formula accordingly to reference the main table vs the Calendar table. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a Pbix so you can see the data

https://we.tl/nJdKC2ez8V

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.