Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dimitrischo
Helper I
Helper I

Week on Week , Month on Month Analysis

Hi,

I am a noob to power bi and i am trying to give reports that they are going to have week on week analysis and month on month.

This moment i Have all of my data in excel which are rows from multiple users

Example.

Date Name Sales

1/1/2016 Dimitris 10

1/1/2016 John 12

1/2/2016 Dimitris 14

1/2/2016 John 20

1/8/2016 Dimitris 4

1/8/2016 john 12

etc....

So now I need to group them by week and every week to be automated updated with the last week to be the max week on my data and the previous one. And next to that percentage % of change to have a green icon if it is positive and a red one if it is negative. more specific like this one in excel...

WoWMoM
-0,5-0,25
-1-0,5

Untitled.png

Is there anyone who can help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dimitrischo,

To calculate the difference month on month and week on week, you can create a calendar table, and build the relationship based on date value between calendar table and fact table. Then create measures like below:

MOM =
VAR PreMonth = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Month] ) ) - 1
return
( IF(CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Month] ) )=1,BLANK(),
 (SUM('Fact'[Sales])-CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), MONTH( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreMonth ) ))/CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), MONTH( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreMonth ) )
))

WOW =
VAR PreWeek = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Week] ) ) - 1
return
(IF(CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Week] ) )=1,BLANK(),
 (SUM('Fact'[Sales])-CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), WEEKNUM( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) ))/CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), WEEKNUM( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) )
))

But currently we are not able to add indicators in a table, you need to create Power Pivot model and KPIs in a workbook firstly then import it to Power BI Desktop. See: Import and display KPIs.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dimitrischo,

To calculate the difference month on month and week on week, you can create a calendar table, and build the relationship based on date value between calendar table and fact table. Then create measures like below:

MOM =
VAR PreMonth = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Month] ) ) - 1
return
( IF(CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Month] ) )=1,BLANK(),
 (SUM('Fact'[Sales])-CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), MONTH( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreMonth ) ))/CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), MONTH( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreMonth ) )
))

WOW =
return
(IF(CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Week] ) )=1,BLANK(),
 (SUM('Fact'[Sales])-CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), WEEKNUM( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) ))/CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ), FILTER( ALL('Fact'), WEEKNUM( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) )
))

But currently we are not able to add indicators in a table, you need to create Power Pivot model and KPIs in a workbook firstly then import it to Power BI Desktop. See: Import and display KPIs.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft Hey I am looking to do the same thing and I tried the solution and it's not working. The results are showing "infinity" could you take a look at my workbook below and if the same formula could be applied?

https://we.tl/nJdKC2ez8V

Hi there! 

• I tried this solution as well, but it didn't work out (see attached example and your solution). I'm learning some DAX-coding now, so I'm not super experienced yet. WOW makes the wrong calculation. 
  • I would like to and have the Power BI-files availabe to test and check. 
    Your Example
    WOW = 
    return
    (IF(CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Week] ) )=1;BLANK();
    	(SUM('Fact'[Sales])-CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ); FILTER( ALL('Fact'); WEEKNUM( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) ))/CALCULATE( SUM( 'Fact'[Sales] ); FILTER( ALL('Fact'); WEEKNUM( 'Fact'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) )
    ))

My Example
    WOW = 
    return
    (IF(CALCULATE( MAX( 'Calendar'[Week] ) )=1;BLANK();
    	(SUM('Sessions'[Traffic])-CALCULATE( SUM( 'Sessions'[Traffic] ); FILTER( ALL('Sessions'); WEEKNUM( 'Sessions'[Date]) = PreWeek ) ))/CALCULATE( SUM( 'Sessions'[Traffic] ); FILTER( ALL('Sessions'); WEEKNUM( 'Sessions'[Date] ) = PreWeek ) )
    ))
    Knipsel.JPG

Could you please explain me what went wrong? 

I dont have this option of PreWeek.

I can see Prewek, but it tells me that it does not work. 

see my formula:

WOW = VAR Prewek=calculate(max(DimDate[Week]))-1
return
(if(calculate(max(DimDate[Week]))=1,BLANK(),
[DI Rigs]-calculate([DI Rigs],filter(all('Drilling Info_Final_Data'),WEEKNUM('Drilling Info_Final_Data'[Friday_Date])=Prewek)))/CALCULATE([DI Rigs]),FILTER(all('Drilling Info_Final_Data'),
WEEKNUM('Drilling Info_Final_Data'[Friday_Date])=Prewek))

Can I get some help?

Hi v-qiuyu-MSFT,

The info that you gave me are great! but i have only one issue. on my row data i have some categories. and when i apply a filter on report with this column doesn't calculate right. How can i Fix that?  I think this is happening because of the filter All.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.