Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KM007
Helper II
Helper II

Web scraping advice

Hello SuperUsers

Looking for your valuable advice on how to best scrape website below for tables.

Which method is most efficient, via VBA or with Power BI .. or is there another better way?

Any advice will be very much appreciated - Thank you!

The URL is = 

www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results?sectorid=121*&lo=0&page=1**&tab=prices

*There are 41 Sectors so this value changes

**Some Sectors have more than 1 page

See pic below ...

HL Funds.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

This isn’t such an easy task in PowerBI. Also, because the website doesn’t like parametrized queries too much, so one even has to rearrange the order of the arguments in the URL (Step: “RearragnedURL”).

Also, it takes quite some time to retrieve the data, but I believe this has more to do with the website and not with the query itself.

You have to dive into the HTML to retrieve all Sector IDs. Then you call them on their 1st page and retrieve the number of pages (step: “ListOfAllPages “). After that you call each page. Apply this function (“WebCall”) on each sector (in step: "CallEachFunction "):

let

// Function for each Sector-Information
WebCall = (SectorID as text) =>
let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results?sectorid="&SectorID&"&lo=0&page=1&tab=prices")),
    Custom1 = Source{[ClassName="table-styled table-sortable"]}[Data],
    ListOfAllPages = if List.Count(List.Skip(Text.Split(Custom1{0}[Name], "#(lf)")))=0 then {"1"} else List.Skip(Text.Split(Custom1{0}[Name], "#(lf)")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(ListOfAllPages, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    RearragnedURL = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Custom", each Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results?tab=prices&sectorid="&SectorID&"&lo=0&page="&[Column1]&"")){[ClassName="table-styled table-sortable"]}[Data]),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RearragnedURL, "Custom", {"Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}, {"Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Custom", each not Text.StartsWith([Name], "Page:")),
    #"Changed Type" = try Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Name", type text}, {"Name2", type text}, {"Current price Sell (p)", type number}, {"Current price Buy (p)", type number}, {"Current price Change (p)", type number}, {"Yield", Percentage.Type}, {"More information", type text}, {"Go to", type any}}) otherwise null
in
   try #"Changed Type" otherwise null,

// Start of main query: Dig into Html to retrieve a table with all Sectors
    Source = Lines.FromBinary(Web.Contents("http://www.hl.co.uk/funds")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each if Text.Contains([Column1], "search-sector") then [Index] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each [Custom] <> null),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Custom.1", each if Text.Start([Column1], 13)="<option value" then Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], """","""") else null),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom1", each ([Custom.1] <> null)),
    #"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows1", "Sector", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], ">", "<")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom4",{"Custom.1", "Sector"}),

// Call function and cleanup
    CallEachFunction = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "WebCall", each WebCall([Custom.1])),
    FilterOutEmpties = Table.SelectRows(CallEachFunction, each ([WebCall] <> null)),
    ExpandColumns = Table.ExpandTableColumn(FilterOutEmpties, "WebCall", {"Column1", "Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}, {"Column1", "Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ExpandColumns,{{"Current price Sell (p)", type number}, {"Current price Buy (p)", type number}, {"Current price Change (p)", type number}, {"Yield", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Another option would be to use List.Generate to increment the page number until the WebPage doesn’t return anything any more.

Imke Feldmann

www.TheBIccountant.com -- How to integrate M-code into your solution  -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JFGC08
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I recommend you to use power automate desktop or cloud. Power automate desktop is a very intuitive tool.

Regards.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

This isn’t such an easy task in PowerBI. Also, because the website doesn’t like parametrized queries too much, so one even has to rearrange the order of the arguments in the URL (Step: “RearragnedURL”).

Also, it takes quite some time to retrieve the data, but I believe this has more to do with the website and not with the query itself.

You have to dive into the HTML to retrieve all Sector IDs. Then you call them on their 1st page and retrieve the number of pages (step: “ListOfAllPages “). After that you call each page. Apply this function (“WebCall”) on each sector (in step: "CallEachFunction "):

let

// Function for each Sector-Information
WebCall = (SectorID as text) =>
let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results?sectorid="&SectorID&"&lo=0&page=1&tab=prices")),
    Custom1 = Source{[ClassName="table-styled table-sortable"]}[Data],
    ListOfAllPages = if List.Count(List.Skip(Text.Split(Custom1{0}[Name], "#(lf)")))=0 then {"1"} else List.Skip(Text.Split(Custom1{0}[Name], "#(lf)")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(ListOfAllPages, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    RearragnedURL = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Custom", each Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results?tab=prices&sectorid="&SectorID&"&lo=0&page="&[Column1]&"")){[ClassName="table-styled table-sortable"]}[Data]),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RearragnedURL, "Custom", {"Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}, {"Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Custom", each not Text.StartsWith([Name], "Page:")),
    #"Changed Type" = try Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Name", type text}, {"Name2", type text}, {"Current price Sell (p)", type number}, {"Current price Buy (p)", type number}, {"Current price Change (p)", type number}, {"Yield", Percentage.Type}, {"More information", type text}, {"Go to", type any}}) otherwise null
in
   try #"Changed Type" otherwise null,

// Start of main query: Dig into Html to retrieve a table with all Sectors
    Source = Lines.FromBinary(Web.Contents("http://www.hl.co.uk/funds")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each if Text.Contains([Column1], "search-sector") then [Index] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each [Custom] <> null),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Custom.1", each if Text.Start([Column1], 13)="<option value" then Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], """","""") else null),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom1", each ([Custom.1] <> null)),
    #"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows1", "Sector", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], ">", "<")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom4",{"Custom.1", "Sector"}),

// Call function and cleanup
    CallEachFunction = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "WebCall", each WebCall([Custom.1])),
    FilterOutEmpties = Table.SelectRows(CallEachFunction, each ([WebCall] <> null)),
    ExpandColumns = Table.ExpandTableColumn(FilterOutEmpties, "WebCall", {"Column1", "Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}, {"Column1", "Name", "Name2", "Current price Sell (p)", "Current price Buy (p)", "Current price Change (p)", "Yield", "More information", "Go to"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ExpandColumns,{{"Current price Sell (p)", type number}, {"Current price Buy (p)", type number}, {"Current price Change (p)", type number}, {"Yield", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Another option would be to use List.Generate to increment the page number until the WebPage doesn’t return anything any more.

Imke Feldmann

www.TheBIccountant.com -- How to integrate M-code into your solution  -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ImkeF,  I am trying to understand if my web scraping use case is possible with Power BI or Power Query.  I have looked at products like Import.io, and Parsehub,  to automate the process, but was wondering if Power BI can perform the use case.  In the use case,I have a list of parts in an Excel Spreadsheet.  Today, I have a very repetition iterative proccess where I (1) Enter a single part number in the search section of the website, (in order to find information on the part number). (2) After I input the part number and press enter, I manually copy the results of the search from the website.  (The result is contained in fields in the website).   (3) I paste the results in Excel.  And then I repeat the whole process again for the next part number in my Excel spreadsheet list.   Can this process be automated in Power BI Get Data from Web or Power Query? 

Power BI is not an automation-tool per se, but if there is a URL that identifies the data that you need, you can write queries that get the current content everytime you refresh the queries. Have you ever tried Power BI to import data from web?

Wow! @ImkeF this is amazing!

Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of helping me out.

Very much appreciated!

Thank you

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @KM007,

This is possible to make using the M language in the query editor.

Check this post. This is made to power query in excel but it also works in power bi.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.