Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GRob
Frequent Visitor

Web data source with different credentials not saving per file

I have multiple pbx files, each basically the same report, but each one calls the same web URL with different credentials.

My problem is that each file doesn't save the credentials with the file.

All files seem to use whatever the last credentials are.

Is there a way to force the credentials to be saved with each file as i need to update them every time i open a new file to make sure the correct data is brought back.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@GRob that is tough one, weird scenario though. Not sure if you can save the multiple credentials for the same data source.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

GRob
Frequent Visitor

I assume that the data source URL I used in the first pbix file is resused in other files if i decide to use the same url in another pbix file.

So data sources are shared.

@GRob 

Power Bi defaultly saves datasource credentials to the global permission list, it goes with your Power BI account. You can edit the permission in with different credentials in the Current file list. 

datasource setting.JPG

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The problem that i have is that the web service returns data based on the credentials sent.

E.g. username1 returns dataset1, usename2 returns dataset2.

If I create 2 pbix files, one for username1, then another for username2 the datasource uses the last credentials used, not the credentials per pbix

My problem would be solved if it saved credentials per pbix file.

@GRob- any solution to this? I'm having the same issue, only difference being I'm using a dataflow to connect to an API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors