Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

snowdowne
Regular Visitor

Web Query Google API "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

Trying to pull google maps drive time between two fields.

I have tested the url in chrome and it works, see below.

When I create a web query it takes a long time trying to connect and eventually gives an error message. I don't know where to start as there is no error code. If I hit retry, it immediately gives the error message.

I am signed into my organizational account in power bi desktop and using the Anonymous verification setting (that won't open anymore so I can try the other types).

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/distancematrix/json?origins=Vancouver+BC&destinations=Langley+B...

{
   "destination_addresses" : [ "Langley City, BC, Canada" ],
   "origin_addresses" : [ "Vancouver, BC, Canada" ],
   "rows" : [
      {
         "elements" : [
            {
               "distance" : {
                  "text" : "46.6 km",
                  "value" : 46637
               },
               "duration" : {
                  "text" : "46 mins",
                  "value" : 2777
               },
               "status" : "OK"
            }
         ]
      }
   ],
   "status" : "OK"
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So my IT department scoured through our firewall and apparently one of the application signatures for google drive was being blocked. I'm not going to pretend to understand what that means but it works now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@snowdowne , seem like a connection issue, clear permission, and try again.

Thanks for replying @amitchandak 

I've cleared the permissions several times with no luck.

I'm trying different level's to apply the permission to with no luck. 

I did notice that it's missing the ? symbol below "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/distancematrix/json?origins=Vancouver+BC&destinations=Ottawa+ON..."

Honestly Web API or Organizational account seems more applicable but don't work either. 

1. Web API error message "An API key value wasn't supplied"

2. Organizational account error message "The underlying connection was close: An un expected error occured on a send" even though I am already logged into my organizational account.

access web content.png

So my IT department scoured through our firewall and apparently one of the application signatures for google drive was being blocked. I'm not going to pretend to understand what that means but it works now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.