Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petrutjim
Frequent Visitor

Web Datasource - Working in Excel but not in Power BI

Hi,

We have an internal web datasource link like this: http://domain/webquery/Default.aspx 

When trying to connect within Excel, via VPN and WEB connector, it works fine and retrieves the data (a table) but when I do it in PowerBI (also with WEB Connector) I get this error: 

"The remote name could not be resolved: 'domain'"

Can you please advise on what to do?

Version of PBI is December 2021.

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @petrutjim 

Please let me know if your issue has been resolved.
If the issue persists, it is recommended to create a support ticket and let MS engineers look into the issue on your side.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

petrutjim
Frequent Visitor

Hi. I don't understand how Excel can connect to that source, or how can we access the table via a web browser, but Power BI needs a gateway...?

You need a gateway for any on-premise data source if you want to refresh from that data source in the service.

Not relevant for Power BI Desktop.

Yes, I forgot to mention in the initial post that this is happening in Power BI Desktop, not Service.

Hi, @petrutjim 

Can you access other web resources through the web connector?

This may be related to the connector version, it is recommended to download the latest version of powerbi desktop.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

do a tracert, check DNS, try with the IP address etc. Maybe use https.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That is to be expected. The Power BI service has no idea how to reach your on-premise data source.  You need to setup a Power BI gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.