Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jchipps
Regular Visitor

Web API - Pagination of results restricted to 100 by API

Hi, I have seen multiple posts in relation to pagination of results for a Web API call, however it doesn't mater how many I try I can't get mine to work. 

The API I am calling is limited to 100 results every time but I need to compbine multiple results in to one data set so that I can report on the results.

My query is:

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("[URL]")),
result = Source[result],
records = result[records],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(records, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "start", "answer", "end", "src", "dst", "from_number", "to_number", "from_name", "to_name", "billsec", "disposition", "lastapp", "userfield", "faxdata", "lastdata", "cost", "organization", "channel", "dstchannel", "app", "callclass", "dest_type", "duration", "dcontext", "pbxid", "type", "timezone"}, {"id", "start", "answer", "end", "src", "dst", "from_number", "to_number", "from_name", "to_name", "billsec", "disposition", "lastapp", "userfield", "faxdata", "lastdata", "cost", "organization", "channel", "dstchannel", "app", "callclass", "dest_type", "duration", "dcontext", "pbxid", "type", "timezone"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

This gives me the first 100 results.

If i then run a seperate Web API for the following it returns a further 18 results (there are only 118 results at this time)

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("[URL]/?&start=100")),
result = Source[result],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(records, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "start", "answer", "end", "src", "dst", "from_number", "to_number", "from_name", "to_name", "billsec", "disposition", "lastapp", "userfield", "faxdata", "lastdata", "cost", "organization", "channel", "dstchannel", "app", "callclass", "dest_type", "duration", "dcontext", "pbxid", "type", "timezone"}, {"id", "start", "answer", "end", "src", "dst", "from_number", "to_number", "from_name", "to_name", "billsec", "disposition", "lastapp", "userfield", "faxdata", "lastdata", "cost", "organization", "channel", "dstchannel", "app", "callclass", "dest_type", "duration", "dcontext", "pbxid", "type", "timezone"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

I need to be able to run this as a single API call but return all of the results, the number of results will increase so need to be able to add a way to do multiple calls based on data being returned, i.e if i run the API and there are actually 245 results it will call the API a 3rd time with /?&start=200 appended to the initial web API

Hope this makes sense.

13 REPLIES 13
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You esssentially need a query that loops through the pages and combines the results into a single list, where you then convert to a table then apply any other steps that need to be done

With the help of the reference below, we have been able to do this successfully (note that I used List.Combine, instead of the List.Union in the reference)

Good luck

https://medium.com/@marktiedemann/how-to-do-pagination-in-power-query-430460c17c78

Thanks for this suggestion. I have already come across that post, however being new to the coding in the back end of PowerBI I am still unable to get this to work.

Without knowing your API, it will be difficult to help you

Does the API call you are using return you the total # of records, or is their another API call that returns the total number of records?

Looking at the referred to reference:

// ...This part figures out the total number of records in the data set (you need to find a way your api returns this)

EntityCount = List.Max({ EntitiesPerPage, GetEntityCount() }),

// ...This part just figures out the number of queries you will issue based on total records and records returned in a page request
PageCount = Number.RoundUp(EntityCount / EntitiesPerPage),

// ...This part just normalizes the indices
PageIndices = { 0 .. PageCount - 1 },

// ...This part is the one that queries the pages, iterating through PageIndices
Pages = List.Transform(PageIndices, each GetPage(_)),

Hope this helps further

Running https://[PBX]/api/pbx/callhistory/?&count=true

returns the following in a web page

{"type":"result","result":{"total":118,"records":[]}}

This is the correct number of records but can't pass this in to the query.

Looks like the below in BI

Capture.JPG

Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jchipps convert that total to table 

OK, so slightly changed the query to the below and it works perfectly in PowerBI Desktop, however when I publish this to PowerBI online the datasource does not refresh?

let
ufnQuery = (n) =>
let
jsonDoc= Json.Document(
Web.Contents(
"[replace this with web address]/?&start=" & Number.ToText(n))),
result = jsonDoc[result],
tmpTbl = Table.FromList(records, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
tmpTbl,

fnRecursive = (tbl, n) =>
if Table.RowCount(ufnQuery(n)) > 0 then @fnRecursive(Table.Combine({tbl, ufnQuery(n)}), n+100) else tbl,

tbl = ufnQuery(0),
final = fnRecursive(tbl ,100),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(final, "Column1", {"id", "start", "answer", "end", "src", "dst", "from_number", "to_number", "from_name", "to_name", "billsec", "disposition", "lastapp", "userfield", "faxdata", "lastdata", "cost", "organization", "channel", "dstchannel", "app", "callclass", "dest_type", "duration", "dcontext", "pbxid", "type", "timezone"}, {"id", "start", "answer", "end", "src", "dst", "from_number", "to_number", "from_name", "to_name", "billsec", "disposition", "lastapp", "userfield", "faxdata", "lastdata", "cost", "organization", "channel", "dstchannel", "app", "callclass", "dest_type", "duration", "dcontext", "pbxid", "type", "timezone"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jchipps  diid uget any error when refreshing?

@Anonymous I don't get an error when I refresh the report it just doesn't run the API again.  If I go in to Scheduled Refresh for the DATASET it shows the following

Snip1.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous That has got me one step closer, I can now manually refresh the data in PowerBI online, but want it doesnt do is refresh the dataset if I refresh the report?  I need to be able to publish to a website that refreshes the report which should refresh the data on the backend to get up to date information?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

refreshing the report wont refresh the dataset unless its direct query. U need to schedule the report or use microsoft flow and power apps to have a refresh button added in report to refresh the dataset

@Anonymous Is there no way to make the Web API call a Direct Query, like we can for the SQL connector that we use on another report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not tried but by using custom connectors, looks like u can achieve this..follow link below.

https://www.progress.com/tutorials/odbc/directquery-your-custom-rest-api-in-power-bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.