Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CaptSunshine

We wish to use a generic email address to allow multiple people to interact with a Power BI dashboar

Here is the scenario. We wish to use a generic email address, such as "location1@ourlocation.com" to post certain Power BI dashboards to.

We use Office 365/Hosted Exchange synced to our AD.

This generic email would be used to allow multiple people to view and interact with these dashboards, using only this one email license. Does the EULA allow for this?

If not, can you point me to the actual statement in the EULA that prohibits this?

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CaptSunshine,

I would suggest you check MICROSOFT POWER BI SERVICE AGREEMENT for sure.

In addition, here is a similar thread for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

I read the MS PBI SA, and it opens by saying;

”Thank you for choosing Microsoft! This Agreement applies when:
(i) An individual signs up for Power BI service (as defined below) with an email address that has been provided by an organization by virtue of the individual’s relationship with the organization; and
(ii) An individual becomes a qualified administrator by proving ownership of the internet domain name registration (“DNS”) associated with the email address that you used to sign up for the service, as described in Section 2."

So, what if it is NOT an individual signing up? What if it is a distribution group, say "GROUP1@MYCOMPANY.COM"? Does this agreement then NOT apply? You see, it seems to be a bit of a grey area, and many people have inquired about this, but there is no definitive answer as far as I can tell.

Also, the discussion that you pointed me to, also, does not give a definite YES or NO to the question, there is only the line;

"Second, if you mean that you need multiple users to all have access to change the dashboard/reports and you want to use the same login instead of a Group Workspace I can only imagine you are trying to do this because you are trying to avoid the "Pro" license."...

..., which is exactly what our Finance Department is wanting to do. But that also is not a definitive answer is it?

For me, it's our finance department trying to worm their way around purchasing multiple PBI Pro licenses, and I'm just wanting to be able to tell them, definitively, YES or NO.

Since there appears to be no real answer to the question, I have decided to errored on the safe side, and simply told them "NO".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.