Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bbfnaro

We weren't able to restore the saved database model

Hi 

I created a PBI desktop project, I can open it without any issues but my colleague (who has the same version), gets the following error: 

"We weren't able to restore the saved database model"

Anyone knows why and how to fix it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexGorev
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

We've just released a new February update with the fix of this issie on the Download Center and Windows Store.

Alex Gorev.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
GC84
Regular Visitor

Thx guys, roll back worked!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The best solution for now seems to be to download an older version.

You can find the december version here https://we.tl/t-Z3wMC8kclr

It worked for me.
Hopefully microsoft resolves the issue soon!

@Anonymous 

Thanks! This is the only solution that works for me! I get a warning when opening the reports but otherwise it works.

Best Regards

Christoph

Hi all,

I found this in the comments section of feature summary (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2020-feature-summary/)

"we plan to have a fix for it in the next couple of days.
In the meantime, there is a workaround: in Power BI Desktop, you will need to go to File > Options and settings > Options and update the Regional Settings -> Application language for your locale so that it matches your OS locale settings, or uses the Windows default display language."

Hopefully, this helps someone out there...

P.S. did not try the above as my February 2020 version is working as it should.

Known issue with February 2020 update. FWIW, this was posted in comments of feature summary (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2020-feature-summary/), suggesting rollback to December 2019:

"Some Power BI Desktop customers using the February release may run into “We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model.” error while opening the PBIX file. Engineers are investigating. As a mitigation, customers can use December release of the PBI Desktop that can be installed from here: https://download.microsoft....

If you experience this issue and can help us troubleshoot it, please reach out to alexgor@microsoft.com. Thanks!"

Good luck!

Danny

rogernl
Regular Visitor

Hi, 

I am having the same problem and I can't work in PBI anymore on my computer. 

Did someone solve the problem?

Thanks

FillyG

Some problem here since today.

Both my colleague and I have the lastest version (5740.721)> he doest not have a problem, but I'm not able to open any of the PowerBI reports that are directly connected to the datawarehouse.

GC84
Regular Visitor

Same issues here. Since update to version: 2.78.5740.721 64-bit (February 2020) I can't open any pbix files. Most of them were local saves (so no issues with network or anything like that). 

Had no issues whatsoever before the update.

Read into some of the fixes (place pbix files on desktop, reinstall power Bi desktop etc.) but none of them work. 

The issue also manifests itself when i create a new file (in this version), save it and try to open it. So it's clearly a general error in the update and no error in the files.

hbensalem

I also have the same problem.

I have reinstalled the latest version and deleted all files in the recovery folder

Sorry this should be a reply to @hbensalem 

Did it solve your problem?

Best Regards

Christoph

froeschel
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the exact same version as the two mentioned above.

Best Regards

Christoph

JohanDS

I also have the issue with this version:

Version: 2.78.5740.721 64-bit (February 2020)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have been having this problem since a few days after i updated my power BI to the latest version of febraury 2020 ( 2.78.5740.721 64-bit).
I am not able to open any of my power BI files.
In fact i was unable to reopen a file which i created on this version after saving and closing the file.

Can someone please help me out with this?

Same problem here. Would like to know how to roll back to December version.

I also think I need to check if there is an option not to update automatically to the latest version. It is not very nice to lose (at least) two working days because of unstable product releases.

froeschel
Frequent Visitor

Hey.

Today I found myself having trouble with this issue. My repro steps:

1. Download a pbix refport file from my workspace on app.powerbi.com.
  2. Install the latest version of Power BI Desktop from the store on my machine. My machine is a new Suraface Laptop 3 with version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.
  3. When I try to open the the pbix file I get: "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model".

The reports I'm trying to download have been build on another machine running the same windows version but different Power BI Desktop version. I tried the stpes mention in the thread, but it does not work. I hope there are some other ideas out there?

/christoph

Hi Cristoph,

At my case after I figured out that we were facing a network issue that was causing the lost of some bytes when the .pbix files were save over a netwwork directory. For me the only way was rebuilt the pbix again from scratch and save locally :).

I found some tips as trying to zip and after unzip the file but it did not work for me ;(

Thanks,

Maryann
Helper I
Helper I

I'm getting this error trying to open a model I created.  I can open others but I'm getting this error on my 2 largest models.

Version: 2.74.5619.862 32-bit (October 2019)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi i read about the issue as currently having it.

I updated to 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (may 2018) version but i still get the same error message.

Help please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi having the same issue. I read  a lot about it and as advised just updated to the may 2018 version.

But i still have this issue.

Please help.

Version : 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (may 2018)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.