cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
db2907
Frequent Visitor

We were unable to authenticate with the provided credentials. Try again

Hello

When I create the connection on the server I have no problem to view the databases and tables. However, if I try to create a new connection with a sql query, I have this error message:

image.png

I am connected to the client VPN and using Management Studio I have no problem with my credentials.

I also added the port to the server, but so far nothing seems to work.

What could be going on or what am I missing?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db2907 

Make sure you're using the correct hostname and port.

Kindly refer to these similar solved posts: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SQL-quot-We-couldn-t-authenticate-with-the-credentials-prov... 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
arbright57
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issues as noted in this post but am able to connect via SSMS with the same credentials but PBI won't connect.  Are there settings in PBI that would keep me from connecting?

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db2907 

Make sure you're using the correct hostname and port.

Kindly refer to these similar solved posts: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SQL-quot-We-couldn-t-authenticate-with-the-credentials-prov... 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!