Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

db2907
Helper II
Helper II

We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again - Using right credentials

Hi there

When I create the conection to the server I've got not problem to see the databases and them tables. However, if I try to create a new conection using a sql query I've got this error message:

image.png

I'm conected to the client's VPN and using Management Studio I do not have any inconvinient with my credentials.

I also added the port to the server but so far nothing seems to work.

What could be happening or what am I missing?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db2907 ,

This maybe a permission/authentication error. When you ever connect to  your data source in an unauthorized account, the corresponding credential would be created. You may need to change credential,  go to “File –> Options and Settings –> Data Source Settings”, under “Global permissions”, select old SQL Server data source connections and click on Edit permission in Power BI Desktop, then connect to it and check if it is successful.

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support , Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET", or go to Issue forum  to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jeish99

What I found to work for me is to reconnect the sharepoint list again but a different way and recreate the dashboard.

I reconnected the sharepoint list by connecting to online sharepoint list and instead of clicking the 1.0 option, click the 2.0 option and choose either of the two options from the dropdown.  With whatever option you choose from the dropdown it will load the data already configured/transformed and then go ahead and recreate the dashboard.  The difference between the two options is that one has more columns than the other which may benefit you depending on what your building. 

I know no one wants to recreate their dashboard but I found this option to work for me and not give me that credential error again.  Hope this helps, I know this error is very annoying to deal with.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db2907 ,

This maybe a permission/authentication error. When you ever connect to  your data source in an unauthorized account, the corresponding credential would be created. You may need to change credential,  go to “File –> Options and Settings –> Data Source Settings”, under “Global permissions”, select old SQL Server data source connections and click on Edit permission in Power BI Desktop, then connect to it and check if it is successful.

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support , Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET", or go to Issue forum  to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

WORKS
many thanks !!!
nevertheless it is so easy that I'm mad on my self I didn't figure it out by my own 😛

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@db2907 is azure sql server? What is user type? It is AAD or SQL user? Did you try using Microsoft Account? How you are connecting in SSMS? Are you adding any other information like default database?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k . Thanks for your reply.  Yes sir, this is an Azure Sql Server. On Management Studio I use a Sql Server Authentication, without any database by default. I also tried with the credentials but this did not work.

@db2907 very hard to say why it is not working? In the drop-down list on your authentication screen, can you choose the server name? I'm not sure what is in that drop-down, is it a database name?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.