Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We cannot convert the column automatically to Date Type

I have a date column with values as 2014-11-08 08:58:30.3 format. I am trying to convert the value as 2014/11/08 because i need to use Power bi custom Timeline slicer and it takes date in this format. When I am trying to change the Format under Modelling tab for the column, i am getting the error on We cannot convert the column automatically to Date Type

Can anyone give me steps how to approach to my solution. I have date for different years. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

you can try convert the data column manual, as text field in Query Mode like this

2017-12-14_09-36-13.png

First split column, then convert. If you don't need a time - remove it at last.

And HERE is full example

You can see, yours text date field was correct converted to DATE

2017-12-14_09-40-06.png

Best regs

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please do it in the Query Editor. 

We_cannot_convert_the_column_automatically_to_Date_Type2We_cannot_convert_the_column_automatically_to_Date_Type

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous

you can try convert the data column manual, as text field in Query Mode like this

2017-12-14_09-36-13.png

First split column, then convert. If you don't need a time - remove it at last.

And HERE is full example

You can see, yours text date field was correct converted to DATE

2017-12-14_09-40-06.png

Best regs

The link provided is broken.. Can you please update the link ?

Actually not, but I duplicate the file yet HERE

@MC - Thanks for the link 🙂 Actually in my case the text column is in this format: 

2018-03-07 10:07:04 EST

and need to convert to date time. I am able to split the column to 2 and convert the first part to date. How do I convert the second one to time? 

Advanced thanks for the help. 

Hi @prasa!

Actually, once what you need is split your column twice. Or better one column to three.

Please, look on example. PQ make this semiauthomatic.

And will be nice if you create new ticket with new relevant solution.

Best regs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.