Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

We cannot apply field access to type number - multiplication transformation based on another column

So I basically want to transform the column Value, according to the currency. If the currency ID is BRL I want to multiply by 0,2 otherwise by 1. I am obtaining the error above.  Thanks in advance:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Step1", {{"VALUE", each if [CURRENCY_ID]= "BRL" then _*0.2 else _* 1, type number}})

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PhilipTreacy, thanks for your help. Using DAX would impact lots of visuals, since I would need to use a new measure/calculated column.

I came up with the solution using the replacer: 
= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Colunas Removidas",each [VALUE],each if [CURRENCY_ID]="BRL" then 0.2*[VALUE] else 1*[VALUE],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"VALUE"})

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @PhilipTreacy , thank you for your answer. I was seeking to avoid a custom column. So is this impossible the way I am doing?

Hi @campelliann 

You don't need to use a custom column, you can use a DAX measure.  I provided an example of this.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @PhilipTreacy, thanks for your help. Using DAX would impact lots of visuals, since I would need to use a new measure/calculated column.

I came up with the solution using the replacer: 
= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Colunas Removidas",each [VALUE],each if [CURRENCY_ID]="BRL" then 0.2*[VALUE] else 1*[VALUE],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"VALUE"})

Hi @campelliann 

I think you're confused about custom columns and DAX.  The DAX measure I wrote will not create a new column in your dataset/model.  That's the beauty of DAX measures, they are calculated as needed but the results are not stored in the data model.

You said you didn't want to use a custom column but the solution you've come up with is essentially the same thing.  There's no difference in adding a new column then deleting the old one (that contains the original VALUE) compared against replacing the VALUE with something else.  You still have a column of values.  So my solution

= if [Currency_ID] = "BRL" then [Value] * 0.2 else [Value]

achieves this.

BTW, there's no need to multiply something by 1.  You can just write else [VALUE]

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy ,

Thanks again for your thorough answer. You are right about multiplying by 1 lol, I was just using the multiplier and kept the same code. 

It is my understanding that saving steps improves performance, that's why I wanted to do a transformation. Am I wrong?

I am quite experienced with DAX, measures/calculated columns context transition etc. The thing is, even if I went for the measure I would need to apply the measure for dozens of visuals - the same if I went with a calculated dax column.

Again, thanks for your help.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @campelliann 

Download example PBIX file

To do this in Power Query (which is what it looks like you are trying) add a Custom Column with this code

= if [Currency_ID] = "BRL" then [Value] * 0.2 else [Value]

You can do it in DAX too as a measure

Measure = IF( MAX('DataTable'[Currency_ID]) = "BRL", SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Value]) * 0.2, MAX('DataTable'[Value]))

currency.png

regards

Phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.