Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Waterfall chart

Hello all,

I started working with pbi this week, and I have a question regarding the waterfall graph.

I have a table with a "name" column. Each name has an initial value, an ending value, and the difference between these two values. These values change every month (the example is with January and February). When the difference is negative, it is something good because it is a saving. When the difference is positive, it's a bad thing because it's an extra expense.

Is it possible to make a waterfall graph that shows: Initial Value, Difference, Final Value by "name"? And that I can filter by month.

The literature on how to do this, if possible, would help a lot.

Thanks in advance

Example

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

The limitation and actual application for Waterfall is to visualize the running total ( Sum or Difference ) which is affected by series of positive and negative changes. Visualizing the waterfall chart with 1+ measure is not feasible. 
U can show only one measure in chart ( Put the initial and final values in tooltip graph ).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fact, everywhere I researched, they said the same thing: Visualizing the waterfall chart with 1+ measure is not feasible

Digging over the internet I found a tutorial using R to create this type of chart. But I need more time to test this alternative....

https://learnr.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/ggplot2-waterfall-charts/

But thanks anyway @Anonymous The tooltip was a great idea to "solve" my problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.