Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JohnnyK
Advocate II
Advocate II

Waterfall chart to show product availability

Good day!

Simple data, I want to plot a waterfall chart with it.

The data means, the quantity of a product at the beginning was 656. Products of some Status are not salable so can't be put On Shelf. The quantity can be put On Shelf is 276.

TypeStatusQuantity
PlusIn Stock656
MinusDamaged-29
MinusExpired-11
MinusBooked-16
MinusUnpack-199
MinusOpen-62
MinusInvoiced-63
PlusOn shelf276

I am expecting something similiar to below:

JohnnyK_0-1612362653788.png

I tried PowerBI as below, and it's not what I want.

What's the way, including adjust the raw data, to achieve like the chart above? Thank you.

2-3-2021 10-39-48 PM.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi JohnnyK,

The reason why it is currently not showing the values in the order you want is because the categories are being sorted alphabetically. To achieve the sorting you want you can add a column to your table in which you give a numerical rank to eacht category (image 1). Then, you sort the status column by that rank column in the Model view. After this, your categories should be ordered correctly in the visual (image 3). Lastly, you should remove the "on shelf" category, since the visual will count this as an increase. the total bar will then represent the remaining 276 (image 5)

image 1image 1

image 2image 2

image 3image 3

image 4image 4

Image 5Image 5

Regards,

Tim

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Great to hear!

Ah if you want to keep the label for the "on shelf" intact it may be better if we use a different approach.

1. download the "simple waterfall" visual from the appsource

2. plot your status and quantity data in there

3. go to the "define pilar" option in the formatting pane and turn off the cumulative total. Then you will be able to turn on this option on for the specific "on shelf" column from there.

That should solve it as well, while keeping the label intact

1.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JohnnyK
Advocate II
Advocate II

@timgfantastic! I wish I can choose all of yours for solutions! Thank again, Tim! 🙂

timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi JohnnyK,

The reason why it is currently not showing the values in the order you want is because the categories are being sorted alphabetically. To achieve the sorting you want you can add a column to your table in which you give a numerical rank to eacht category (image 1). Then, you sort the status column by that rank column in the Model view. After this, your categories should be ordered correctly in the visual (image 3). Lastly, you should remove the "on shelf" category, since the visual will count this as an increase. the total bar will then represent the remaining 276 (image 5)

image 1image 1

image 2image 2

image 3image 3

image 4image 4

Image 5Image 5

Regards,

Tim

@timghi Tim, thank you so much for the guidance and details! It's people and spirit like you make the learning world so beautiful!

Is there anyway to reword the final "Total" to something else?

Great to hear!

Ah if you want to keep the label for the "on shelf" intact it may be better if we use a different approach.

1. download the "simple waterfall" visual from the appsource

2. plot your status and quantity data in there

3. go to the "define pilar" option in the formatting pane and turn off the cumulative total. Then you will be able to turn on this option on for the specific "on shelf" column from there.

That should solve it as well, while keeping the label intact

1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.