Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Waterfall chart start valu

Hello

I am attempting to use PBI waterfall chart to show begin values, changes = that add up to the end value.    My base measure is Cost$/unit, which is an annual value.    For example, 2018 $/unit = $400, and ending value 2019 is $525/unit,    I do have a measure reflecting the YOY change by ledger - but would now like to transition to a waterfall chart, with the inital bar = $400, and then with all the +/- end up at $525.   I have a year slicer, so the starting point would be selected value - 1.

There are multiple similar questions already posted - with one solution being a measure.  The other responses are purchasing a commercial visual (probably not likely).    The solution with a measure assumes the initial value is in the dataset - I was unable to make work, as the beginning value was included on allowed dates within the slicer.   My initial value is prior years calculated $/unit.   

Appreciate your reponses!

6 REPLIES 6
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dellis81 ,

I cant simply create a sample data based on your description,so would you pls upload your .pbix file to onedrive business and share the link with us?

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thank you for taking time to help.  Here is a link to OneDrive with a simple example.

https://gangwishseedfarms-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/p/daryl/EgLGt_OqEWFLhcQx4HFGqlABKHHoXwnq5uWb5IQopSwE...

I would like the initial bar, representing 2019 for value of $13.30, and then for each category (Labor, Fuel, Supplies) show the YOY change, with the ending bar totaling $16.96.

I sure hope this can be done!  Thank you!

Hi @Dellis81

Your measure is perfect and I have modified what is shown in the fields of the waterfall chart,and you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-14 104750.pngAnnotation 2020-04-14 104809.png

Is above what you need?

Here is the related .pbix file.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

thanks. is the pbx still available?

Hi Kelly, I got an email from you asking if the waterfall question had been answered.   I appreciate your reviewing what I had done, but...  Not quite yet.   In a followup, I responded with an example showing a begin value.WFExample.PNG

I have been doing additional reading - and I think this is a limitation of PBI.   I found a reference, asking to vote on it - and as I dug, there were multiple like kind requests.  So, unless something new has recently transpired - I'm not hopeful.  But - maybe you have some magic 🙂

thank you@

Thanks, but not quite...  I found an WF image with the concept I want to shoot for.   In my example, the first bar would be the 2018 value of 13.33 and the red/green bars represents the 2019 changes in Labor, Supplies, and fuel.  The ending bar would add up to $17.WFExample.PNG

Thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.