Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rossgerber
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall chart is sorted alphabetically and not grabbing the 5 largest contributors

I'm using "Item Count", Year, and Client Name to try to determine which clients are contributing the most to a change in Item count.  When I create the report, I only see the first 5 clients alphabetically (All of the clients starting with "A").  I've tried sorting by other columns both in the visual and in the modeling layer with no success.   Any ideas on why this isn't sorting properly?

8 REPLIES 8
nadinetanahy

I'm having the same issue, any luck with a solution?

JoeZ

In my tests, I have found that Power BI looks at the first 195 sorted records to find the top contributors.  The remainder are then rolled up into "Other".   

rossgerber
Frequent Visitor

Since my list of clients is large (thousands), I decided to filter the visual to only bring in the 20 largest clients by items.  The waterfall chart then correctly picked the 5 largest contributors and put the others in the "other" bucket.  This feels to me like a bug in the tool or visual...when the list is thousands of clients long, it will only bring in the first 5 alphabetically.  I will try to test this with a fake set of data.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

By default, it will pick top 5 in breakdown, but you can go to 'format' and change breakdown to max of 20 as in your case. It is working good in my scenario. Arranging them on highest to lowest.

Capture.PNG

@Anonymous When I put on a visual filter to only pull in the top 100 clients, then the report works properly as yours does below.  I'm also aware of the "breakdown" functionality, but that still only will pull in the first alphabetically with my large group of clients.  Have you tried with 10,000 categories?

Anonymous
Not applicable

10 maximum - thousands, not at all - I can try during the day me be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rossgerber,

Just to test if rest is fine, can you try same on some other type of visualization. That will eliminate some possibilities.

FYI, MS team has just updated the waterfall visualization, in this update. If not already using it, try updating the app and use the new version. This new version provides exaclty the solution , you are after.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rossgerber,

I try to create a sample table and test, but I did not reproduce your scenario, could you please share your sample table and list expected result for further analysis?

In addition, I totally understand your data is private, you can create similar fake table.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.