Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JuanSombrero
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall challenge

Hi all,

I am trying to create a waterfall chart, but not through the 'classic' approach. I have data for budget, actual, forecast, estimate,...all of them are in separate data tables in my model, all calculated in individual measures Now, for a specific month, I want to create a waterfall from budget to forecast to actuals etc...so the values of each of my waterfall columns is captured in an individual measure, the measure names are actually the 'category labels', rather than a column of values somewhere in the data model I can drop in the category field.

Should I rework my data, adding a 'source' label to each table, and then appending them into one big giant monster table, write a single measure on this table, and use the newly created 'source column' to put in my categories? Or are there any more subtle ways I'm not seeing (yet 😉 to deal with this problem.

Thx in advance,

Juan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JuanSombrero,

Based on my test, we are not able to use DAX to treat values from many measures in one table column.

In your scenario, you can merge queries as a new query for  budget, actual, forecast, estimate,... Then Group By the Year and Month, return total value for  budget, actual, forecast, estimate.... Then check ActualTotal, BudgetTotal, ForcastTotal columns and click Unpivot columns.

a5.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNGa4.PNG

a6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
abhyanka

Hi all, 

Wondering if there is a way to solve for something similar- except all my data is within one table already. I just wanted to create a waterfall chart with multiple Breakdowns, if this is even possible. I.e. I have 3 different categories that add up to my total, and I want to show the breakout of those over the course of the quarter. 

Thanks!

klabir
Helper V
Helper V

Have a look at the PowerBI Ultimate Waterfall Chart

http://dataviz.boutique/2017/03/22/powerbi-ultimate-waterfall-custom-visual/

BR

Klaus

M8.PNG

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JuanSombrero,

Based on my test, we are not able to use DAX to treat values from many measures in one table column.

In your scenario, you can merge queries as a new query for  budget, actual, forecast, estimate,... Then Group By the Year and Month, return total value for  budget, actual, forecast, estimate.... Then check ActualTotal, BudgetTotal, ForcastTotal columns and click Unpivot columns.

a5.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNGa4.PNG

a6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft

Hi, Qiuyun Yu! First of all, thank you for the explanation. I'm having trouble aggregating columns which were already created in Power BI Desktop (they're not present on my excel data base, as I'm not its owner). Is there a way I can do it with the aforementioned columns?

Best regards,

João Machado 

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @JuanSombrero

Please share some data and the output you expect.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.