Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

flavourabbit
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall Chart using multiple measures

Hello,

I know this must've been an old topic in Business Intelligence.

However, I didn't find any idea to realize what I'd like to achieve.

The thing is I'd like to create a Waterfall Chart with multiple measures.

Let's say that there's Fact Table containg accounting data (Revenues, Costs, Profits)

Thus it's a kind of running total, I can expect to draw the chart.

(Which item is main cause of profit decrease e.g., Ads/Logistics)

However, only solution I found at Google is restructuring the dataset like below

I don't think it's a good idea to manipulate the fact table, plus if I create another table, all the current measure refering the Table A would be not working with newly made one.

Is there any way to solve this?

Many thanks,

temp.PNG

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same issues as well with multiple measures not working in the Waterfall visual. I was hoping that there would have been a solution by now but I guess not 😞 

I created a mock up of the data so I could show the database guys what I was trying to achieve and it doesn't look like it's possible without creating a completley new table with the specific purpose of providing this visual - which is probably not going to happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over two years later and it looks like this is still impossible for PowerBI... possible for PowerPivot, but not PowerBi. hmm

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi flavourabbit,

"

However, only solution I found at Google is restructuring the dataset like below

I don't think it's a good idea to manipulate the fact table, plus if I create another table, all the current measure refering the Table A would be not working with newly made one.

"

<--- Could you please clarify more details or give a demo about your fact table, Table A, current measures and expected result?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao 

Hello,

I've made some dummy data to explain my situsation.

Below is the fact table (originally the # of column is much larger than this)

fact_table.PNG

With measures like SumofNetSales or SumofSalesExpense, I'd like to draw the below waterfall chart in Power BI.

This is because I'd like to compare which account had a effect on overall profit between year 2016 and 2017.

Do you know how can I materialize the waterfall chart in Power BI 

chart_2.PNG

* FYI, the below is pasted dummy data

(as xlsx file is encrypted through DRM)

YearLocationNet SalesSales ExpenseProduction CostOther OHEBIT

2016UK400-50-200-10050
2016France3000-230-300-502420
2016Germany4000-440-400-503110
2016Belgium2000-1000-500-5000
2017UK600-200-300-1000
2017France4000-600-400-502950
2017Germany5000-600-500-503850
2017Belgium3000-1200-600-500700

Hi flavourabbit,

Click Editor Queries, click on [Net Sales], [sales Expense], [Production Cost], [Other OH], [EBIT], then click Transform-> Unpivot Columns, table after transforming is like below:

捕获.PNG 

Then drag [Attribute] and [Year] to Category, drag [Value] to Y-axis, the result looks like this:

21.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks for the reply.

However, unlike the example, the fact table is quite hugh (1M rows, 200 columns) and also has a lot of measures based on the columns. so I think if I create a table with query editor only dedicated for the waterfall chart, then it would be a loss...

(resulting in slow performance and large file size)

Is there any workaround?

(it would be nice to recognize measure names as categorical field contents and use their value)

Hi there,

Have you found a solution for this since I am having the same issue where I have to create a waterfall chart from created measures?

Thanks

Hi,

The only workaround I know is using R script (or Python)

I followed the following article's instruction. (basically it's using ggplot2's rect function)

https://analyticstraining.com/waterfall-charts-using-ggplot2-in-r/

I hope it helps

Hi,

Thank for your reply Smiley LOL

Let me have a look at it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors