Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Waterfall Chart using Measures

Hi,

I'm trying to reproduce a graph originally built in Excel in PowerBI. The Excel graph uses multiple measures as shown here:

Excel WaterfallExcel Waterfall

The columns are measures created in PowerBI off a a substantial data set:

MeasuresMeasures

Any attempt to reproduce this in PowerBI has failed. The chart simply does not let me add the different measures anywhere except the "Tooltips" area.  For some reason this is not a problem in other types of charts, such as a column chart seen below:

BI ColumnsBI Columns

Is there some work around here? Could i somehow modify the column chart to act like a waterfall chart? Do waterfall charts not work with measures?

Edit: Changed the BI Columns image to be more readable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't able to find the solution I wanted. I considered building a custom visual with R or Python, but I have no expereince in those. I tried downloading the custom Sunbust visual, but it's got the same problem as the waterfall. I settled on doing a doughnut chart. 

It would be great to see these wrinkles sorted out. In my mind, there is no good reason I can do a bar graph with the right data, but not a waterfall. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Gandhar
Regular Visitor

Gandhar_0-1658814661234.png

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a waterfall chart using these values please guide me on how i can create this type of waterfall chart 

cyongt_bdf
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

You can do it via a workaround in DAX formula and a control table.

1. Create a table with matching "measure" name:

image.png

2. Create an additional measure for your waterfall chart, you may apply + or - for your measure to get the waterfall sentiment:

Waterfall value = 
    SWITCH (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Index] );
        1; +[Measure 1];
        2; +[Measure 2];
        3; -[Measure 3];
        BLANK()
    )

3. Apply the new measure in your waterfall chart, with the category based on the table field created (Note that you need to sort it via the category, use hierarchical drill-down if needed):

image.png

Cheers!

what about a live connection? I have a similar need but can't modify the data model so my only chance is creating custom measures from the live one. Thx!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cyanva ,

Your solutions worked fine. I need to add product category to the water fall.

Example:

measure 1 then it should show by product category for the measure 1 and so on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't able to find the solution I wanted. I considered building a custom visual with R or Python, but I have no expereince in those. I tried downloading the custom Sunbust visual, but it's got the same problem as the waterfall. I settled on doing a doughnut chart. 

It would be great to see these wrinkles sorted out. In my mind, there is no good reason I can do a bar graph with the right data, but not a waterfall. 

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research, I am afraid the Water Fall chart may not support different measures, you could try to ues the Ultimate Waterfall chart to have a try:

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380956

It could allow multiple measures to create a water fall visual:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Being able to add multiple measures using this graph is what I needed! Thank you!!   

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you're right v-fanhe-msft. I've been looking into it using R or Python as well. I'll post back here when I find a solution.

Hi @Anonymous,

Ok, if you could find a solution, don't forget to mark an answer to close this topic.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.