Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Simon_Loughnane
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall Chart to Explain Actual to Budget Variance

I have a report comparing Actual to Budget sales.

I have written measures that explain the cause of the variance (along the lines of Price, Volume, Product Mix etc). These measures add up to the overall variance between actual and budget sales.

I want a waterfall chart which goes from Actual to Budget with the explanation columns showing my measures which explain the variance.

I have tried a lot of combinations with the standard Waterfall chart and don't believe it is possible. Is there another way to achieve this using the standard visuals?

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Simon_Loughnane 

The standard Waterfall chart accepts only one measure on Y-axis, so you need to add up those measures to create a single measure. But what is the category you want to display on X-axis? The causes? Time? Or something else? If you want the causes to display on the X-axis, the overall measure need to be different. You may need to use the Field parameter feature to create the overall measure for Y-axis. 

Hope this would be helpful. If not, can you provide some sample data and show how your desired chart should be like?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.