Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Waterfall Chart Not able to create a total Start and total End

Hi,

I'm new to PBI. I want to generate a waterfall to show the change between YTD cost and YTD budget sorting by department.  Below is the example in excel and it's our true requirement. 

Now we have the YTD budget and cost and I have the difference measure between this two value , but I don't know how to achieve that in waterfall chart. Appreciate if anyone can help. 

1.png

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your scenario, we can meet this requirement by setting the Waterfall Chart Breakdown, here is a blog which shares a sample, please refer to it: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Waterfall-Chart-Tutorial/td-p/231152

Best Regards,

Teige

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi TeigoGao, I have seen this post before. But the difference is that I'm using the two compare value 'YTD budget' and 'YTD actual cost' instead of Month. The two values are calculated by YTD total. I'm not able to drag the two values to breakdown field. I know how to breakdown by month and it works well. In my case , do you know how to achieve that? I can't upload the picture, so i will briefly mention what I configured in my POWER BI. Category : Department Breakdown :  Y Axis : Cost vs Budget (calculated value -- 'YTD actual cost - YTD budget') -- it should be waterfall from a start value (YTD budget) to an end value (YTD actual cost) Additional two values (which should be the start and end total YTD value ) , I'm not able to add to anywhere in this chart. Hope you can help on this. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.