Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZacM
Regular Visitor

Want to Restrict users building reports on SSAS Models

Hi all, Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this topic but I'm getting desperate

I've got a SSAS Tabular model with working RLS feeding a Power BI report on a workspace.
I have 2 requirements I am struggling with:
1. I need to mask measures for totals < a certain threshold for certain sensitive categories, this is not required (and in fact not optimal) for most other categories.
2. I want to be able to show some identifying columns to users in some contexts, and hide this column in most other contexts. 

I am able to build my report to fulfil these requirements. However, adding users to roles on the Tabular model would allow users to connect to the model directly through PBI desktop and build reports circumventing these requirements. The only 3 ways I can think of to do this are:
1. Model the data in such a way that users can't connect these identifying columns/measures even if they do connect via PBI desktop
2. Not include this data in this model, and create another model (really least preferred option)
3. Recreate the model in PBI Desktop, restricting users to not allow them to build on the datasource. 

I basically want the equivalent of option 3 on my Tabular model.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ZacM ,

It is helpful to post the problem into SSAS formus.  The engineers here are more familar with Power BI. 

Hope you will get it fixed as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Doesn't quite address the problem. I've had no problem getting Analysis Services set up, it's working fine with RLS and all that.

The issue comes because giving users access to the database in SSAS inherently gives them the ability to build their own reports on the database. This is what I do not want to have happen! I would like to stop users accessing the data outside of the curated reports I have built and published.

This is where Power BI alone has the advantage, I can lock down the data source so that no user can build a report on the underlying data, and would like to do the same thing on my SSAS model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.